So you think gay people are a new invention?

Sometimes I hear about people saying there are more gay people nowadays and that gay people weren't accepted in the past and so on. That's not quite true.

I could tell you so many examples of gays and lesbians who are pillars of their community and have been for years.

My grandmother who is in her 80s told me that the midwife that delivered my oldest aunt was gay and that was in the 1940s in a small town. This midwife was respected and liked and everyone knew she was gay and lived with a female teacher. And who cares!!! Likewise my dad grew up in a small town and he said he knew of several gay people. They weren't "out" but they are had important jobs, contributed a lot to the community and were liked and they were more or less assumed to be gay.

This mentality that gay people are coming out now and that no one accepted gays anywhere before recently isn't true.

My question is more of a conversation point.

Favorite Answer

Out is the new In. more and more people feel comfortable being out because some people so actually care. also our media influences us too. Look at Elton Jon, Ellen DeGeneres, Lady GaGa all great gay icons!

it not that no one accepted gays before, its just that less did at certain times in history. In America specifically, gays haven't really been able to come out til the later 1900s because people were very biased. But in ancient civiliations like the Roman Empire, and the renaissance, it was very common for men to have boys on side, even if they were married. and parts of Ancient Greece too. Many roman and greek gods were believed to be scandalous, and many myths involved same sex affairs.

Yeah, it is true. Just because some people were have been out in the past and it's been accepted by some other people, it doesn't change the fact that on the whole homosexuality was not accepted.

It was illegal for crying out loud, people have been to prison for it.

Yes very early in history females were only there for breading and men pleasured each other, was was also seen as normal for a adult male to have a young boy as a student which included sexual pleasure.(remember there were no schools back then so boys were taught by an adult male) Ever since there were male and female of any species there has been same sex sexual activity, so it is just not a human thing.

it isnt the fact that they werent accepted but that it was more of a taboo back in those days as things were more orthodox. Now society is opening up a little more and things like interracial relationships, homosexuality and equality are becoming more of a social norm. Even if people had tendancies towards their own sex in those days it was more difficult or people to speak up or come out of the closet for fear of rejection and being socially unacceptable.

It sounds like those people were the exception, not the rule.

Especially since it wasn't until 1973 that being gay was no longer considered a mental disorder.

Interesting thought tho in the UK homosexuality was illegal until 1967 so I think that must be a comment in how society treated it before then,

Yeah, you're right. People who think being gay is just a trend or something that is ''in'' or that they do it just for attention are wrong in so many ways. It's rather ignorant in my opinion.

ok... so when is your book coming out?

also.. where is the question?

congratulations. what was the point of that statement