are autism and Aspergers syndrome similar?

• jayne
    Favorite Answer

The main difference between Autism and Aspergers is that people with Aspergers don't have a clinically significant speech delay, other than speech the symptoms are the same. Autism is a spectrum disorder and some people are more affected than others. The ones who are less affected are usually classified as HFA or Aspergers. The "spectrum" has been opened to the point that a lot of people are being diagnosed with Autism/Aspergers based on very mild symptoms that are often outgrown. I don't believe the dx was accurate when that happens.

Source(s): My son and foster son have Aspergers. They are very disabled.

Hi,

Autism & Aspergers Syndrome are similar only because they are on the Autism Spectrum. The Autism Spectrum is a long spectrum and ranges from very low functioning severely Autistic, to Asperger's Syndrome (high functioning). People who have Asperger's Syndrome (like myself) are very social & communicative. When you are on the low end of the spectrum, you don't speak or communicate with others. It all depends on degree of impairment and where the individual in the family comes from, and if they are taught independent living skills, ie, shown how to do things, like grocery shopping, household duties, and paying the bills.

But to answer your question Asperger's Syndrome is an Autism Spectrum Disorder, and yes it's part of and relates to Autism itself.

I trust this information helps you!

Aspergers syndrome is a form of autism.

Aspergers is a form of autism.