MattH
MattH asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Water Trading -- Agree or Disagree?

Just a question.

As you know in the Western US there is a water shortage that will only get worse as time goes on (and underground aquifers continue to dry).

How do you feel about water trading on a free market basis? Essentially trading your water entitlemetns to others, disconnecting water rights with land ownserhip and buying or selling entitlements like commodities.

There is water trading in alot of Western States already, but it's very regulated. How would you feel about treating water more as a commodity than a collective good.... having the potential to buy and sell as you please?

This question is mostly geared towards irrigators int he West, but anyone is welcome to give me feedback.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

People that want to live in the desert (anywhere in the US southwest) and have a big ol lawn should pay the price for it. There should be a trade off for nice weather.

So, yes, in my opinion.

However, I think the water rights belong to the people that live on that land. I would hate to see it privatized and have to fight corporations for water rights.

if it runs the risk of hurting national and state parks i'm against it.