I'm a Beginner Flautist and I'm wondering whether I should buy...?

A Gemeinhardt 3B or a Gemeinhardt 2SP.

I'd really like an Open Hole Flute but my budget is kind of tight so is it really worth buying the Gemeinhardt 3B?

Also, what other Student Flutes do you recommend?

Favorite Answer

The Gemeinhardt 2SP is likely the most popular and best playing student flute you could buy! I personally started out on that model over 10 years ago when I began playing. It was GREAT... consistent with intonation, nice sound, durable, no repair issues. The only issue was that after about 3 years I felt I had reached my limit with that particular instrument as far as playing ability goes. I definitely needed something with a higher percentage of silver, open holes, and overall better crafted as I got more advanced in my sound and technique.

If you plan on staying with the flute for several years, you may want to consider getting a model such as the 3B (or higher, if you can afford it), just to avoid the hassle of sinking money into another instrument years later. Even a used 3B would be good! Just make sure that the pads are not cracked and that there are no leaks or intonation issues.

On the other hand, if money is tight and all you can afford is the 2SP, do not be discouraged. It is still a great instrument. Gemeinhardt is well known and maintains a higher resale or trade in value than many other student models of lower quality.

Honestly I'm not going to recommend any other models... it sounds like you've done your research! There are other models available--Bundy, Jupiter, Artley, Jean Baptiste, etc, etc... but none of them hold a candle to Gemeinhardt.

Good luck!

Source(s): Played flute for 10+ years, manager at Brass and Woodwinds department in Sam Ash.