Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAustraliaOther - Australia · 1 decade ago

Difference between New Zealand and...?

I am a Canadian and my American fiance and I are (hopefully) moving to New Zealand as he's been offered a job with engineering. I was wondering though what the school systems are like compared to America and Canada as we both hope to have children one day. I know English is the main language and you drive on the left hand side, but what differences are pretty big in comparison to America and Canada (schooling, government, etc.)? If you can't answer anything else, please tell me about the school system. How is it similar and different from North America?

I've done some research, but I'd like to hear answers from people who really know there stuff!

Thanks in advance!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The education system in New Zealand is quite good according to international standards, but it's often hard to understand and very different to North America so I will try and explain it the best way I can. In NZ, most children begin attending early childhood education prior to the age of five. Playcentres cater to children from birth to age 5, although kindergartens are more popular and cater to children from age 3-5. There are various centres for early childhood, and most teach children basic reading/writing skills, they learn to play games, sing songs, play with dolls/toys, paint/draw, learn about a range of topics, some teach children a little Te Reo Maori and much more. These type of institutions are a great place for kids to learn more about themselves, others and more skills which will aid in the transition to primary schooling.

Primary schooling is compulsory in New Zealand and is similar to 'elementary school' in North America. Children must attend a primary school when they turn five years old where they are slotted into year levels. Instead of using 'grades' New Zealand uses 'years' but they are quite similar in nature. Students turning five enter at year 1 if they begin primary school at the start of the school year or before the cut-off point (usually around 31 March) and students turning five enter at year 0 if they begin primary school after the cut-off point. There are usually six or eight years of primary school, depending on the specific school as some schools cater to six year levels while others do eight. So primary schools teach many different things. Children learn math, english (especially reading/writing), social studies, science, art, sport and music skills at a more advanced level than an early childhood institution, but ranges depending on the year level. In other words, children in year 0/1 will be learning how to count to 100, whereas children in year 5/6 may be learning multiplication and division. In New Zealand there are usually a lot of outdoor activities for children to participate in during primary school such as swimming, athletics, cross country, sports such as rugby, netball, hockey, t-ball and the like. Many schools host camps for the older year groups and primary school is always considered to be fun and not as serious as high school. If your child is attending a primary school that graduates at year six, then your child will attend an intermediate school for two years.

Intermediate is kind of a transition from primary school to high school. Lessons are a little more harder and stricter but there is more options for students to learn a better variety of subjects and courses. Such as many intermediates offer food technology, hard/soft materials, art, sports and more. High school (which is often called 'college' in NZ) is where it gets different. In NZ there are five year levels that attend high school (unlike North America with four). These are year 9 (ages 13/14), year 10 (ages 14/15), year 11 (ages 15/16), year 12 (ages 16/17) and year thirteen (ages 17/18). Year 9 and 10 aren't as serious because they aren't participating in NCEA, New Zealand's high school qualification. Basically these years learn more in depth about maths, science, english, health/physical education, social studies and more options that students can choose which is important for NCEA later on. NCEA is our high school qualification made out of three levels; NCEA Level 1, 2 and 3. Typically year 11 students begin NCEA Level 1 and must pass this certificate by the end of the year to continue on to the next NCEA level. In NCEA students study subjects (around six or seven) which are each worth a certain amount of credits. In NCEA Level 1 you must gain 80 credits to pass the level, and you gain these credits by achieving on internal/external assessments for each subject. Internal assessments are exams taken during the year which are not as strict as externals and are usually done in the classroom. Whereas external assessments are written exams done at the end of the school year and are very formal and strict. Each level offers better variety of subjects to choose from and each level gets harder. At the moment kids can choose to leave school at age 16. After graduating high school, many young adults choose to study further (on a tertiary level) at a university or polytechnic. Most of these tertiary institutes require students to have certain marks in NCEA subjects relating to the degree or course they wish to study. Most schools in NZ don't have cafeterias and many choose to let children eat outside and bring their own lunch from home, although many high schools have a kiosk/canteen which sells certain foods to students during lunch or interval. Any other specific questions, feel free to email me.

Source(s): New Zealander
  • 4 years ago

the present time in New Zealand is 9:fifty 4 PM on Monday, February sixteen, 2009. india is 7.5 hours at the back of new zealand. The time in Republic of India is two:24 PM on Monday, February sixteen, 2009.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.