? asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 9 years ago

My aunt wrote me a check for my birthday with Wells Fargo. I have no bank account. Will Wells Fargo cash it?

Will Wells Fargo cash the check?

Best Answer

Well Fargo will cash it for you. You will need a Photo ID (some banks require two) and they may charge a small fee to cash it.

Wells Fargo will cash it, but you need to bring a valid State ID. They will also take a percentage (Probably 5-7 dollars) for cashing the check.

I'm going to assume that you're under 18. I can't remember the last time an aunt or uncle gave me birthday money, but I must have been young.

A bank will cash it's own checks no problem. If they charge you a fee, you should let your aunt know so she can send you cash next time.

• Alexis

Yes, they will. You need your ID though. Also they will rip you off and take $5 bucks from you for cashing it. The account holder can specify that they bank not do that to the people it writes checks to, but they probably have to pay a fee for that cause that is how banks are(crooks). Just an FYI.

• debijs

~~Yes they will but Wells Fargo will charge a fee for non-customers (even thought your aunt is, you are not). So take a picture ID and they will fingerprint you and cash the check.~~

Most institutions will cash "on-us" checks but there is a check cashing fee that can range from 3-10 dollars. Make sure you take your ID with you.

If you are very young, ask your parents to deposit the check into their account, and give you the money in cash. You will need to sign the check over to them.

If you're in your teens, it's a good time to open an account. You can use that check for exactly that purpose.

Usually the bank will take a check written on themselves as long as you present sufficient identification.

such as a drivers license. Also just call the bank and ask the bank phone # is usually on the check.

Hope that helps!

T. Shipman

http://www.shipmaninsuranceagency.com

• ZCT

Johnny, now is the perfect time to open a bank account.

In this day and age not having a bank account is pretty silly. Increasingly most employers are switching to direct deposit. Having no bank account just makes you seem like a simpleton in the eyes of others (even if that is not true).

So take your check to a bank of your choice and use it to open an account. Problem solved.

Why not just get a no-fee checking or savings account?