Christians, given that the decision was your to make...?

Would you allow a "reformed" but convicted rapist/pedophile into your congregation? This question came to me while reading the other Q about "Rick"

This poses a serious dilemma, on one hand "Judge not, lest ye be judged" but on the other, it could be considered neglect if something goes wrong... Are there any scriptures for this situation?

And we all know that wolves are very good at being sheep.... So I don't think I would allow it, I might still read the Bible with said person though...

@Rask Balavoine; That is a very good response.

@Denmark, I agree with you totally about not judging, but like you said; we can't know what a person is hiding.

@riam, I understand. But wolves among sheep.

Favorite Answer

If I was informed that Mr X had that kind of a past I would welcome him and tell him that we can't run the risk of him having unsupervised contact with children or women and that he would have to accept those limitations if he wanted to attend Church. I would also inform a limited number of senior people in the Church who should sit with him in Church. He is most welcome but we are to be "gentle as doves and as shrewd as serpents".

• riam

When the person is repentant, yes. But if he continues to be stubborn, then no. Christ accepted the murderer on the cross and never made any conditions for him. the man just showed repentance and acknowledgement that he was a sinner. he also asked Jesus to remember him in when he becomes king. jesus acceoted him, why would you refuse a repentant convicted murderer. Christ did not come to save holy people, he came for the rapist, pedophiles, murderers etc. Remember Paul muredered christians before he became a christian.

Source(s): Bible
  • cheir

Luke 12:57 “And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right?

1 Cor.5:12,13; For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? But those who are outside, God judges. Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.

John 7:24; “Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

• Apple

hey! i think that even if someone is pedophile, i m not the one to judge him, because noone knows what exacly this person may hide in his soul, what psychological problems may have and his past experiences. i totally believe : " walk a mile in my shoes before you abuse, critisize and accuse". .. i would be afraid ofcourse to trust him to be with children, but i would try to talk to this person and at least make him realise that everyone has the chance to become better, and even if we are all sinners, we do have the chance to imporve ourselves...

Source(s): love

Ask the pope,he's an expert at rehousing pedo priests.

• yesmar

If he is indeed 'reformed', then no problem, but I'm sure he would understand 'trust, but confirm'.

no i would never become a catholic.

Source(s): atheist