Theoretically.. If I have Sheet Music for Alto Flute, could I play it on a Western Concert Flute?

Provided that the music doesn't go below B.

Or is Alto Flute sheet music written in another key?

Favorite Answer

The Alto Flute is in G, the Concert Flute is in C. The fingerings are the same for both instruments. It sounds badly if you play the alto flute part on a concert flute as part of an ensemble. If you're playing it as an unaccompanied solo, it should not be a problem.

Be happy. Play well. Best wishes.

Source(s): Playing flute since 1964 and currently perform in area orchestras and as a soloist.

If I am not mistaken you will have to transpose a perfect fourth. Add a fourth to every note to make it sound the same (since the instruments are in different keys). The fingerings are the same and the sheet music is written the same way and you can play the same thing but it may sound a little different being a fourth lower.

mm The fingerings are the same and the sheet music is written the same way and you can play the same thing but it may sound a little different being a fourth low

good luck

Source(s): answers.yahoo.com