Anonymous

Why do white people say Black people never had a written language?

Ethiopia is the only country in Africa that has never been colonized and it took 3 different countries to colonize Somalia. Amharic speaking Ethiopians have there own written language from probably something B.C. and up to this date their written language is called ge'ez:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ge'ez_language . Somalis had their own written language until in the 1970's they decided to change it to Latin writing style. So why do ignorant white people say stuff like blacks never had a written language and the only history blacks had was being slaves? It's childish and annoying.

Update:

@ Man in the Iron Mask Abyssinia(Ethiopia) colonized Yemen and the Arab peninsula. Ask any Arab Muslim it's a fact and if anyone influenced the other it was us who influenced them. They say an Abyssinian man called Abraha was the governor of Yemen.

Update 2:

@ Tony, Yemen was colonized by Ethiopia ask any Muslim who believes in the Qur'an and what it says...I mean Arabs wouldn't be saying stuff like that if it was a lie. Who would lie about being colonized?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's not ignorance. Black people had a language but it was not written. There is nothing wrong with admitting that. They spoke with clicking sounds. The first written language in the world came from the Middle East, and from there it spread to Africa. The Africans then adapted the language and made various dialects from it. That is why you may notice that there are arabic sounding words in African languages. It is because Black people did not have a written language is why we barely know anything about African people before slavery. Even the language you listed, Ge'ez, is recognized as an Afro-Asiatic language. Plus, the Arab peninsula/Yemen wasn't colonized by Ethiopia, in fact, it was never colonized by a non-Arabic force. The cultural element of the Arab peninsula/Yemen is distinctly, if not homogeneously, of Middle Eastern origin.

Edit: What I mean by never being colonized is that whatever impact Ethiopians had on Yemen is almost non-existent compared to the Arabic element. Various people have "entered" Yemen, including Persians, etc, but colonization entails lasting effects, of which Yemen and the Arabic peninsula do not exhibit outside of Semitic influence.

• 1 decade ago

My only guess is that it is said in ignorance. Before becoming slaves, African Americans were believed to be Muslims. They had a civilized society and many languages. Whether or not they had a written language, I have no proof of that information, but I believe all societies at that time had a form of written language, as they had to communicate during trade.Africa is said to be where the first civilizations were established. If there were societies that had a written language, I would definitely say Africa would be of the first. Slavery just undid a lot of the hard work of the Africans to be civilized people, but also taught them another language and brought about many new ways of communication.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah but that's just Ethiopia. To be fair, you must consider where it is located: right across the Red Sea from the Arabian Peninsula. With them being so close to the Middle East, isn't it possible that some cultural exchange happened sometime in the past 4000 years? Same goes for Somalia since they had contact with ancient Rome and Greece.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Mankind originated in Africa simply by fact of this we are all black interior yet adapted our epidermis colours to the atmosphere we existed in. i'm a guy or woman of shade and comprehend this good judgment. You being white won't. Necessity is the ultimate motivation for invention. without a choose for a written language you does not advance one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This how it said in the form of Amharic to english text.

Amharic: Ethiopiyawee bemehone desita yigebañal. Amariñña iko betam yemiweded kwankua neu. Inante sewotch iko fara natchew. yale ingleziñña fidel atawekum.

English: Being an ethiopian is very delightful. Amharic is an amazing language. you guys only know how to write in english text.

• *BB*
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Only people of ignorance would speak in a manner than know nothing about. Don't know where you read this from but some people just say things because they figure the black person listening is not smart enough to know any better and of course whites (unless you're not prejudice/racist) will agree when them, themselves don't even know and they are probably thinking "Hey I just learned something today" and the ignorance spreads.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because white people believe that the way africans spoke to each other was just pointing and smiling.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You've already answered your own question, They are IGNORANT. enough said.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.