What's the difference of il est and c'est in french?

Ex

Il est essentiel que

c'est essentiel que

• Wisdom
    Favorite Answer

"Il est" is used before adjectives. "Il est possible qu'il ait été ici hier."

"C'est" is used before titles and nouns. "C'est ma soeur." or "C'est un musicien."

There are exceptions to this general rule, though.

Think of "Il est" as meaning "It is" in English, and think of "C'est" as meaning "This is" in English. That's a very rough difference there, and there are plenty of exceptions....

Hmm... I'm not explaining this well haha... I'm sorry, I'm a French major and I should know how to explain this properly, but I guess I'm not so good at it lol. Good luck!

Oh, and by the way... It's "Il est essential que..." and not "C'est essentiel que..."

c'est is for objects

il est is for people

• ?

it is to differentiate 'he' and 'it' and this is a distinction that does not always exist in other languages.

In greek 'afto' is the 3rd person form and also means 'this' and therefore 'automobile' translates as ' this/he/she / it moves or something

Source(s): I kinda half know what i'm talking about from bumbling round various language primers.

He is and it is.Your first line is wrong

Source(s): little French.