Good books for a young teen/adult (18-20)?

I'm a young adult (female) an I'm looking for some good books in any genre

whether it be (horror.suspense.mystery.romance.fantasy.mythical.disturbing.mind bending & so on)

I just want a book that can grab me an suck me in one that WILL hold my attention..I would prefer a nonfiction book but am open to anything..Please feel free to suggest as many as you'd like & if you don't mind give a short description of the book or at least your thoughts on it would be much appreciated..PS please NO twilight suggestions lol ok well Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I would like to second some of the things others have been saying. Read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It really is amazing. Here's a description:

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives.

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

......................................…

Additionally, the Giver is very good. I found it to be an aquired taste however, as I did not like it the first time I read it. In fact, I think I only really enjoyed it upon reading the entire series, The Giver, Gathering Blue, and The messenger. Here are brief descriptions:

The Giver: In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy.

Gathering Blue:

Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

I'd give you a teaser for the messanger, but I don't want to give too much away. If you wanted to check it out, here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Messenger-Lois-Lowry/dp/0618...

...........................................................

You could also try Graceling by Kristen Cashore.

Here's a description (I hand typed it because I couldn't find it online, so any typo's are mine. Without further ado, the description:

His eyes. Kasta had never seen such eyes. One was silver and the other, gold. They glowed in his sun-darkened face, uneven, and strange. She was surprised that they hadn’t shown in the darkness of their first meeting. They didn’t seem human…

Then he raised his eyebrows a hair, and his mouth shifted into the hint of a smirk. He nodded at her, just barely, and it released her from her spell. Cocky, she thought. Cocky and arrogant, this one, and that was all there was to make of him. Whatever game he was playing, if he expected her to join he would be disappointed.

In a world where people born with an extreme skill --- called a grace --- are feared and exploited, Kasta carries the burden of a grace that even she despises: the grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.

When she first meets prince Po, who is graced with combat skills, Kasta has no hint of how her life is about to change.

She never expects to become Po’s friend.

She never expects to learn the truth behind her Grace—or the terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.

......................................…

Also, I read an awesome book called Hawksong, by

Amelia Atwater-Rhodes.

Here's a description:

DANICA SHARDAE IS an avian shapeshifter, and the golden hawk’s form in which she takes to the sky is as natural to her as the human one that graces her on land. The only thing more familiar to her is war: It has raged between her people and the serpiente for so long, no one can remember how the fighting began. As heir to the avian throne, she’ll do anything in her power to stop this war—even accept Zane Cobriana, the terrifying leader of her kind’s greatest enemy, as her pair bond and make the two royal families one.

Trust. It is all Zane asks of Danica—and all they ask of their people—but it may be more than she can give.

......................................…

Additionally, you should check out The Maze Runner, by James Dashner.

Here's a description:

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

......................................…

Another great book is Poison Study by Maria Snyder. I couldn't find a better description, but trust me, it's good! It has some mature themes though, just a warning.

Here is a description:

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear! A romance blossoms, a power grows, and villains plot. Will Yelena be able to save her friends, and herself?

......................................…

Additionally, another fantastic read is Shatterglass, by tamora pierce. It's like a fantasy murder mystery, it's fantastic

Here's a description:

Kethlun Warder was a gifted glassmaker until his world was shattered in a freak accident. Now his remaining glass-magic is mixed with lightning, and Tris (a spunky student weather-mage) must teach him to control it (if she can teach him to control his temper first). But there's more at stake than Keth's education. With his strange magic, he creates glass balls which reflect the immediate past and expose the work of a murderer. If he can harness his power properly, he'll be able to see the crimes as they take place. Keth and Tris race against time and the local authorities to catch a murderer who's hiding in plain sight.

......................................…

Finally, read The Goblin Wood by Hilari Bell. The description doesn't do it justice, but it is clever and witty and funny and a great read, I assure you.

Here's a description:

One terrible day, Makenna, a young hedgewitch, witnesses her mother's murder at the hands of their own neighbors. Stricken with grief and rage, Makenna flees the village that has been her home. In the wilds of the forest, she forms an unexpected alliance. Leading an army of clever goblins, Makenna skillfully attacks the humans, now their shared enemy.

What she doesn't realize is that the ruling Hierarchy is determined to rid the land of all magical creatures, and they believe Makenna is their ultimate threat—so they have sent a young knight named Tobin into the Goblin Wood to entrap her.

In this captivating fantasy adventure, the difference between Bright and Dark magic is as deceptive as our memories, hopes and fears—and the light of loyalty and friendship has a magic all its own.

......................................…

I hope I helped, but if you don't like the sound of any of those then try this:

These links take the guess work out of choosing a book; they will match you and your preferences to a book that covers what you like to read about. They are sure to help you find something interesting.

Enter a book you like and the site will analyze its database of real readers' favorite books (over 32,000 and growing) to suggest what you could read next.

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

http://bookseer.com/

http://www.gnod.net/

http://www.allconsuming.net/

Good luck finding books that interest you, and happy reading!

~Clarkie

• Katie

I agree with Amanda when she states that you probably wouldn't be too happy with the Muslim system... It's highly unlikely that a man who has your attitude on life would really want to financially/emotionally support multiple women. Who says they don't love and want their older wives too? (Not that I'm a fan of polygamy, but it seems like an over simplification to assume that all men who do this want to get rid of the old wife.) Also, I personally care more about whether a man loves me. Finances are highly secondary. That's why it's best for everyone if both people work. I hate to say this, as I have a great deal of respect for the more traditional model. With people so set on stepping out on their spouse, you really can't trust that the money situation will be resolvable in a fair way. Finally, I don't think there's anything wrong, per se, with a man being attracted to an 18 year old. What I wonder is what he's really wanting from the relationship. If you view women as purely pretty, interesting objects, an 18 year-old might suite a 50 year old man. If you want a companion, you'd better shoot for someone who's at least had to live life on her own for a few years. (Think 25 or so.)

Not sure about nonfiction. As far as fantasy goes, check out The Hunger Games. It's really hard to put down. It's about a society where they chose 24 children from 12 districts to compete in a fight to the death on live TV. It's very clever and surprisingly emotional. Don't miss it.

The Giver is great for any age. It's about a perfect society where only one person is chosen to remember the hardships of the past. It's just a brilliant read.

I also really liked the Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong. It's not perfect, but it has some pretty gripping scenes and it's a horror/fantasy about a girl who can see ghosts because she's been genetically altered. The first book is The Summoning.

The Harry Potter series is a must read although the books don't really take off until the third in my opinion. Then they're nearly impossible to put down.

For something that's more realistic, I recommend Ellen Hopkins Crank or Impulse. Crank's about a girl who gets addicted to crystal meth and Impulse is about 3 teenagers who tried and failed to commit suicide and they're in an institution. All of her books are amazing and those are my favorites of hers.

Happy reading!

• I don't read non-fiction books that are in those genres lol, so you'll just have to hear some fiction suggestions (:

Some vampire series' that are pretty awesome:

- The Darren Shan Saga (also check out the Demonata series) by Darren Shan

- Vampire diaries

Both of these are hardly anything like twilight - the only really similar thing is that they have vampires in them; but the vampires have been portrayed wrong in the Twilight books xD. Darren Shan is an awesome writer (ignore the film they made last year that was based on the first of the saga - it isn't anything like it) and I'm sure you'll love it, it constantly holds your attention.

Some more pretty cool books:

- Any book by Robert Swindells (he writes horror/thrillers)

- Errmmm, I've heard Trudi Canavan books are amazing but I haven't got round to reading any yet so perhaps you'd like to try those/

- Narnia books

- His Dark Materials

- Oh I know! There's one called 'The forbidden game'. It's a trilogy by the writer of Vampire diaries (L.J. Smith) which are really awesome.

Can't really think of others off the top of my head but there you go (: Enjoy!

• Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Intertwined (#1) and Unraveled (#2) by Gena Showalter

Shiver (#1) and Linger (#2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Clockwork Angel (#1) (Prequel series to Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones (#1), City of Ashes (#2) and City of Glass (#3) (The Mortal Instruments series) by Cassandra Clare

Hush Hush (#1) and Crescendo (#2) by Becca Fitzpatrick

The Angel Experiment (#1), School’s Out Forever (#2), Saving The World and Other Extreme Sports (#3), The Final Warning (#4), MAX (#5), FANG (#6), ANGEL (#7) [Maximum Ride series by James Patterson]

GONE (#1), HUNGER (#2), LIES (#3), PLAGUE (#4) [GONE series] by Michael Grant

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

The Giver

It's a great book, sucks you in from the very beginning.

It's about a kid who lives in a really controlled, cold world and, well... You'd just have to read it. It's suspenseful.