Facebook accused me of using a fake name and deleted my account. Why would they do this if it's not true?

I have had facebook for a few years now. I use my real name and real e-mail address. I have never claimed to be anyone else. The other day I went to login and it said my account had been disabled. When I contacted Facebook, they told me that fake names are a violation of their policy as is impersonating someone else. They told me the account could not be reinstated and the decision was final. I wrote back stating this was a mistake. How can I contact the right people to make this right? I have done nothing wrong and want to continue with this issue until Facebook makes it right. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

This is so ridiculous because they just did the same thing to my account yesterday!! they accused me of having a fake account. Everything on my account was correct and it's the only account that i have. I think there is something fishy going on here, i hope facebook doesn't have someone working for them that are stealing our info. and doing something bad with it. We need to report this abuse to the authorities and make Facebook look into whats going on. I could careless if my account is enable again but need to get to the bottom of who is responsible for my info. leaking out.

• MLM

You need to contact them and try again. There have been problems at Facebook yesterday and today (Nov 17, 2010) that may explain some of the glitches. See the article from MSNBC below:

Bug deactivates thousands of Facebook accounts

"Earlier today, we discovered a bug in a system designed to detect and disable likely fake accounts. The bug, which was live for a short period of time, caused a very small percentage of Facebook accounts to be mistakenly disabled. Upon discovering the bug, we immediately worked to resolve it. It’s now been fixed, and we’re in the process of reactivating and notifying the people who were affected."

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/11/17/54...

Facebook will not delete your account unless some has reported the account and for the sound of it that's what happen some apparently doesn't like you or has the same name as you and reported your account best thing you can do is make another one.

I don't know why, but they just did the exact same thing to my mom. She's a mess, and lost a ton of photos of the grandkids and stuff. No explanation other than "fake names are against our rules" and her account was not fake!!! They just did that to her yesterday.

Anyone have any idea what's going on???

Contacting Facebook will be a dead end. The best is to open a new account if you want to use Facebook.

Same thing happened to me. We should all connect and call the media! I am so mad because of all the pictures and info they keep. I want to at least be able to log in and delete my things. Apparently anything put on their site , becomes their property. Not sure what we can do.

The same thing just happened to me yesterday and I received the exact same answer. I am Tiffany's mom; she just posted an answer. I sent them a reply that I am 56 and much info about myself. But they insist that I don't exist. What is going on with them??!!!!

that is stupid, but someone may have reported you as a fake profile. sounds pretty messed up considering all the REALLY obviously fake profiles on there with obnoxious names & celebrity names etc.

Seems to be an epidemic. Back up your photos!

go back to mysace