Gift ideas for elderly people?

I work in a nursing home and signed up to give gifts to two of the residents. I thought I could find something to give them but I'm not so sure now.

The first resident:

* is hard of hearing

* can see

* she can eat regular foods

-- I will be making her cookies but want to get her something else too.

The second resident:

* can't see too well (only outlines of things)

* she can hear well

* wears dentures and has to have her food ground up

-- I got her a soft blanket and want to get her something else too (no food items though).

** Both of these ladies use wheelchairs to get around.**

If you guys have any ideas, please let me know. I'm willing to spend like 20 bucks a person. If you have an idea, send a link too if possible. Thanks so much!!!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • jackie
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Nice warm slippers.

• DeeJay
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I like the idea of a soft blanket for both. Their skin is dry. Some nice smelling lotion.

Nora has a good idea. A carry all that fits on the wheelchair is great. I would love one for my wheelchair.

A pretty artificial flower arrangement would brighten up their room.

House slippers are nice too or a cardigan sweater.

We use to decorate my mother-in-laws room with a wreath on the door - Christmas stocking and a very small Christmas tree.

So nice of you to bring Christmas into their life.

DeeJay.

• 9 years ago

Flowers or a flowering plant in a pot. For the one who can see or a calendar with nice pictures.

A pair of nice gloves if they get cold hands.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

A potted plant, esp. a flowering one. a pretty little desktop radio- simple dials a mag. subs. for the one that can see- does she knit or crochet? i.e. Crochet Today mag. and/or some yarns.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Nora
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

A carryall that fits on a wheelchair

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Your time, some hugs and a lovely card with your sentiments! We all need others, no so much things!

• 9 years ago

They both may like cassette players with headphones.

Public libraries have books on tape.

• 9 years ago

idk id like blankets alot cause its security .. sorta.. or a stuffed animal or holiday socks are always a hit with the elderly we always have elderly people ask for holiday socks around the churches here...... or slippers they probably have all that stuff.. who knows theres so many gifts at this time.. anything would please them ...

• fcm703
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Best gift is companionship.

• 9 years ago

dean martin or orson welles

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.