According to Jesus, do angels marry and have children?

In the passages below, Jesus says angels do not marry or have children, so why do Christians claim the "sons of god" in Genesis 6, are "angels" that came down and had relations with women on earth and took them as wives?? If in Genesis 6 they meant "angels" they would have said "angels" and not "sons of god"

angel in hebrew - מַלְאַ֣ךְ mal·'ach

gods in hebrew - אֱלֹהִ֑ים elohim

These are NOT the same things, so the passages in Genesis 6 says sons of "elohim" aka gods, and NOT angels. It says the sons of gods, not the "angels of gods."

"Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven." Matt 22:29-30

Update:

One reason christians have a problem with

Genesis 6, is that they have claimed that Jesus is the ONLY son of god, when, according to Jewish scripture, he is not, as there are many "sons of gods"

Update 2:

BR--If angels can not marry and the "sons of gods" took women on earth as wives then the "sons of gods" were not angels.

Update 3:

Ana--So according to Christians, Jesus was an angel then...since when something is a "son" of gods it really means "angel."

Update 4:

B Dash--exactly, and this also applies to Jesus!

Update 5:

Spark--your Humpty dumpty semantics do not work, as it says "sons of god"--not sons of Seth.

Update 6:

fuzzy--nice to see you. You say: " The angels are sons of God. Jesus' being son is a special case of a son of God.

But this statement is nothing but a Christian construct to try to distinguish jesus as being something "special". A better explanation would be that jesus is, as you say, like the rest of us, in that we are all "sons of god"--that is, from a Christian perspective.

Update 7:

Furthermore, Jesus' few followers wanted to show that Jesus was somehow more special than John the Baptist and other recognized "messiahs." So, in the gospels, they mythologize Jesus to create something "other worldly."

16 Answers

Relevance
  • B Dash
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I agree, it does say sons of God. However, there's many interpretations of "son" (child, fruit, variant, young one, etc). We are considered to be God's children while Jesus is the Son of God (in respect to the trinity). There is no error in that respect and I do not claim that angels ever would come down to have relations with people. That's not what God made His creation to be.

• 1 decade ago

You have misrepresented Christian beliefs.

Firstly, the "sons of God" issue is debated within the Christian church. It is hardly a core doctrine of any denomination. To suggest that this is a settled issue among Christians is nonsense.

Secondly, the Matthew scripture actually says that neither humans or angels marry in heaven. It does not allude to what is possible on earth.

Thirdly, Christians do not claim that "Jesus is the ONLY son of god" but that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God (John 1:14,18, 3:16, 18, Acts 13:33, Hebrews 1:5, 5:5, 11:17, 1 John 4:9, 5:1). The relationship between Jesus and God the Father is special, different to the rest of us.

Job 1:6, 2:1, 38:7, Ps 89:6, Dan 3:25 all use the term "sons of God".

The Bible also refers to Christians as adopted sons of God (Romans 8:15, 23, 9:4, Galatians 4:5, Ephesians 1:5).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The sons of God were the sons of Seth.

Adam was a giant.

Genesis 1:7 the waters which were above the expanse

It is because of the waters which were above the expanse that people lived long lives and it is because of the waters which were above the expanse that Adam's descendants were giants.

http://www.biblelandstudios.com/nuke/modules.php?n...

"the problem I’m finding is that most all historians, scholars, authors and theologians over the last 2400 years believe that giants were all the product of evil angels mating with human women"

Isn't it unusual how a lot of people believe that the Nephilim were the offspring of fallen angels and women?

How people who say demons are fallen angels accept this accursed doctrine?

THE NEPHILIM ARE NOT THE OFFSPRING OF ANGELS AND WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

The accursed, depraved doctrine concerning the Nephilim is surely from Satan!

NO ANGEL, WHETHER OF GOD OR FALLEN, HAS THE AUTHORITY TO DO SUCH A THING. THEY ARE ALL OBEDIENT (1 KINGS 22:19-22; JOB 1:12; PSALM 103:21).

Demons are only disobedient in desires. They are 100% obedient in deeds.

Consider Luke 5. I am persuaded that this demon was commanded by God to go to Jesus to help Him perform ordinary exorcism (notice in other Scriptures, Jesus casts out demons with a word).

Consider Luke 4. I am persuaded Satan was commanded by God to tempt Jesus.

Satan is not God's enemy. He is subservient to Him.

ALL DEMONS DO THE WILL OF GOD!!!!!!!!!! DEMONS CANNOT DO ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF GOD'S WILL!

God would NEVER allow angels to have sex with women.

Comment:

Heretics who dare state that the Nephilim are offspring of fallen angels and women will receive my thumbs down. ;)

Edit:

"your Humpty dumpty semantics do not work, as it says "sons of god"--not sons of Seth."

I'm not interested. I just wanted to state my hatred for the doctrine.

Source(s): http://www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/calcom01.xii.i.htm... That ancient figment, concerning the intercourse of angels with women, is abundantly refuted by its own absurdity; and it is surprising that learned men should formerly have been fascinated by ravings so gross and prodigious. http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/book_of_enoc... The record here makes it very clear that the giants were in the earth before this took place, and it simply means that these offspring were outstanding individuals.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sons of God are in fact angels. The sons refer to those directly created by God. Hence, Adam was called a son of God as well.

By reading the bible and seeing other accounts mentioning the sons of God this fact would be evident.

Angels do not marry and have children. Such desires for romance etc are not part of their natural desires.

However, such angels in Genesis 6 left their natural desires to go after human women. (Think of it like a human having 'desires' for an animal. It's not natural but there are sick people out there...)

As a result those angels lost God's favor.

EDIT: Jesus never said that they 'can't' marry. His words implied that they 'don't'. They're not the same thing.

And yes, Jesus was an angel before coming to the earth. But maybe I phrased it wrong. Not all sons of God were angels. I mentioned Adam. He was human.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I and any Christian I know agree with you - I've never heard anyone say that it was angels that had relations with women. We also understand that Jesus is the ONLY BEGOTTEN Son of God. Again, I and any Christian I know, also understands Matthew 22:29-30 and don't expect to be or get married in heaven.

• 1 decade ago

You can discount what I am about to say.....The sons of God are men here on earth at that time who held the Patriarchal Priesthood, which existed at that time. They were marrying the daughters of men. It would be the same as marrying out of ones religion, a non-believer, as the Jews did time and time again. What was happening is they were being corrupted by this and started practicing the religion of their wives because of their influence. You see, the true religion demands much out of you, it is hard to live, to keep going, fighting against the world around you. They, good men at one time, fell. The bible does not make this to clear.

• 1 decade ago

Jesus said we would be like the angels in "heaven," and would not marry or be given in marriage. Please take note that this is in heaven. But on earth angels can appear as men in bodily form, Hence, the reason being for the fallen angels who are awaiting judgment.

There would be no reason to use the term, "daughters of men" if the sons of God are mere men also.

• Fuzzy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

This is for those who need it.

Angles:

Jesus said that angels do not marry this implies they also do not have children.

In all human speech we have generalities spoken that apply >generally< but which naturally have obvious exclusions. As in when I say, I play chess on Saturdays and have done so for more than 25 years. I still do not need to tell people that there have been several Saturdays where I didn't play perhaps because of having a cold, or because the chess club for some reason was unable to meet regularly -- this most normal people understand without being told.

If I were to say, 'Japanese are very law abiding and nice' - that doesn't mean that there are no Japanese criminals and those who are not nice, the exceptions.

Thus -

We have further information about angels than that one teaching by Jesus. Here are two more:

II Peter 2:4:

For if God didn’t spare angels when they sinned, but cast them down to Tartarus, and committed them to pits of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;

Jude 1:6:

Angels who didn’t keep their first domain, but deserted their own dwelling place, he has kept in everlasting bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day.

What we are told here is that some angels sinned. Sin is the breaking of law as was homosexuality in ancient Israel. Anyone caught would be punished severely. Thus in human society it is lawful for people to marry someone of the other sex Biblically but not someone of the same sex; angels do not have the privilege of marrying, Jesus stated.

The point made by Jude is quite telling. These angels who sinned abandoned their other reality, their primary domain for the only other one that exists, ours. Thus we know that they came down to earth and sinned.

What these four scriptures then teach is up to us to interpret and to conclude by correlating all these teachings and making the most harmonious interpretation possible. Again our interpretation fits the situation.

That these angels came and married illegally (sinning in doing so) human women and brought forth offspring not human but also quite violent it seems - is a good interpretation. We then see (a different point) that there are two groups of demons, those in prison in underground places, Tartarus, whom Jesus went to preach to after his resurrection, and those who still have access to heaven with Satan who rule the earth with their Master.

Sons - God's:

The Bible itself tells us that God has many sons. Adam because of being created directly and not born of woman is said to be a "son of God." The angels are sons of God. Jesus' being son is a special case of a son of God. We are told that he is the firstborn, and the only one directly created by God so that only-begotten son applies. All other things came to be by intermediary of Jesus in his pre-human 'incarnation.' So, in a sense, Jesus is our mother as well as our Lord, our male savior, the Lord of Christians whom some saints shall 'marry' in heaven --

I am sure you are having fun with that one. Happy sieve to you!

Edit:

>>>Premise<<< it is - that guide our logic machines. As we are told correctly, to the unbeliever the gospel about Christ is foolishness.

I Corinthians 1:18:

For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are dying, but to us who are saved it is the power of God.

You are judging from the premise that God isn't and that all things come by human cleverness and inventiveness. How can you come to any other conclusion! You cannot.

I am judging the teaching as coming from above, the word of truth that contains life if believed and obeyed. As the physicists who always believe that things have a beautiful harmonious explanation, so do I believe this in regard to God's personal revelations, not only his natural revelations.

• yesmar
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

When Jesus says the angels neither marry, or are given in marriage, he is of course referring to the angels that remain loyal and obedient. He does deny that fallen angels may have the ability to manifest themselves physically and perform such acts in the distant past.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i didnt read the whole thing, fyi, but i think sexuality in general is a blessing from god to humans, i dont think angels even bother with sexuality, why cuz theyre in the lords presences, its something a million times better than bodily ecstasy, so i think when god sent angels to earth for whatever reason, be it to marry human females or whatever you said, whose to say he didnt bless those angels with the gift of sexuality?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.