where could I find information on Violence against Women in the past?

I'm looking for the history on laws and what not on Violence against Women, I'm having trouble finding any good info.

Thanks

Update:

This is for SCHOOL. I'm not a feminist.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Domestic violence wasn't reported in national crime statistics until very recently. Try the FBI violence data base or the U.S. department of justice, they might go back 20 or 30 years. As far as i know, the only federal legislation is V.A.W.A. otherwise you'll have to sort it out state by state... provided you reside in the states.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

You are unlikely to find any good information. It's hard enough to find good information about Domestc Violence in the present, because the Feminists think they own the topic, so the media and education system are full of lies and half-truths on the subject.

It's no use saying you're not a Feminist -- if your SCHOOL forces you to research violence against women instead of Domestic Violence generally, then you are a Feminist by dint of educational bullying!

Research into Domestic Violence is a relatively recent phenomenon, as far as I know, and the best you will be able to find out about the past is guidance or laws about what sort of violence should or should not occur, and under what circumstances.

• Carla
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I think we should drop womens and mens and just have violence against the innocent. We should take in the gender differences into consideration to help both gender triumpth this but overall..it should be violence against the innocent. Don't we all deserve it? Not just mostly one specific gender...too selfish =(

• 9 years ago

Here's a great article on that

Persistent Myths in Feminist Scholarship

http://chronicle.com/article/Persistent-Myths-in-F...

["Harder to kill than a vampire." That is what the sociologist Joel Best calls a bad statistic. But, as I have discovered over the years, among false statistics the hardest of all to slay are those promoted by feminist professors. Consider what happened recently when I sent an e-mail message to the Berkeley law professor Nancy K.D. Lemon pointing out that the highly praised textbook that she edited, Domestic Violence Law (second edition, Thomson/West, 2005), contained errors.

One reason that feminist scholarship contains hard-to-kill falsehoods is that reasonable, evidence-backed criticism is regarded as a personal attack.

Lemon's Domestic Violence Law is organized as a conventional law-school casebook —a collection of judicial opinions, statutes, and articles selected, edited, and commented upon by the author. The first selection, written by Cheryl Ward Smith (no institutional affiliation is given), offers students a historical perspective on domestic-violence law. According to Ward:

"The history of women's abuse began over 2,700 years ago in the year 753 BC. It was during the reign of Romulus of Rome that wife abuse was accepted and condoned under the Laws of Chastisement. … The laws permitted a man to beat his wife with a rod or switch so long as its circumference was no greater than the girth of the base of the man's right thumb. The law became commonly know as 'The Rule of Thumb.' These laws established a tradition which was perpetuated in English Common Law in most of Europe."

Where to begin? How about with the fact that Romulus of Rome never existed. He is a figure in Roman mythology —the son of Mars, nursed by a wolf. Problem 2: The phrase "rule of thumb" did not originate with any law about wife beating, nor has anyone ever been able to locate any such law.]

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

In your essay you should write about how hard it is to find sound facts on this subject because so much one-sided information is presented by feminist historians. For example, feminists routinely ignore violence against men, and classify non-violent acts (e.g. verbal abuse) as 'domestic violence' (see section 4 here http://www.freewebs.com/feminism-evaluated ).

There are also complete lies told on this subject e.g. the famous 'rule of thumb' lie http://www.debunker.com/texts/ruleofthumb.html

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

tried searching feminist blogs where they over exaggerate everything? there's quite a few people on here that could give you TONS of information about this. although, it won't be accurate because like i suggested, they're all from feminists blogs and written by feminists, which is completely biased. then again they're feminists so that's expected.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

1. What era? The medieval was brutal. Noble men were allowed to rape women as long as it wasn't nobility.

2. Try google scholar

3. Try your local library and ask the librarian.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

ask a feminist. just make sure whatever you hear it, you translate it to 1/4 as bad as the feminist said it was.

• Somewhere in amongst the countless millions of men slaughtered over the years.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You can't find because it doesn't exist. You can read feminists books though, though 99.8% are lies designed to hate men.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.