Do you remember when Chris Sutton was a record signing for £5 million in 1994?

How times have changed!!

Sutton became the most expensive player in English football in July 1994, when he was transferred from Norwich City to Blackburn Rovers for £5 million. He developed a strong partnership ('SAS') with Alan Shearer. Norwich City were fleeced by then Chairman Robert Chase and began their rollercoaster slide as he sold all the best players and lined his own pockets. .

Sutton retired from playing football in 2007, due to problems following concussion injuries.

Favorite Answer

Yeah it was interesting that he did not fit in at Chelsea, but played great at the Canaries, Rovers, Villa and Celtic. Nowadays £5 million would not buy you a Premier League player. You would have to look in the Championship League.

@Defected to UKIP - I am so shocked that he told you to fvck off. lmao!!

• .

Does Anyone Remember This One

Steve Marlet, Lyon to Fulham, £11.5m, August 2001

Kevin Keegan; Liverpool to Hamburg - £500k Outrageous!

Mel Sutton's son. Brilliant player, he shall long be remembered.

5 mill serious!?

That seems a bargain to my generation nowadays lol

I find it funny when 17/18 year olds are talking about footy players and saying stuff like "Oh he's only 7 mill, a bargain lads!"

Strange we can talk about that much money as if its so little lol

its in basic terms a hearsay. besides he's worth extra desirable than that. if he's in form barcelona are unbeatable so if chelsea sign them they are very fortunate, pondering the undeniable fact that they purchase him for 12 million.

Certainly do, I met him once and told him I hope he gets in the England team, he told me to f*ck off!

I hate Sutton, he was overrated and an ********, i hope he rots in hell!!

t'was the year of my birth so no