Do you remember when Chris Sutton was a record signing for £5 million in 1994?

How times have changed!!

Sutton became the most expensive player in English football in July 1994, when he was transferred from Norwich City to Blackburn Rovers for £5 million. He developed a strong partnership ('SAS') with Alan Shearer. Norwich City were fleeced by then Chairman Robert Chase and began their rollercoaster slide as he sold all the best players and lined his own pockets. .

Sutton retired from playing football in 2007, due to problems following concussion injuries.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yeah it was interesting that he did not fit in at Chelsea, but played great at the Canaries, Rovers, Villa and Celtic. Nowadays £5 million would not buy you a Premier League player. You would have to look in the Championship League.

@Defected to UKIP - I am so shocked that he told you to fvck off. lmao!!

Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Does Anyone Remember This One

Steve Marlet, Lyon to Fulham, £11.5m, August 2001

• 1 decade ago

Kevin Keegan; Liverpool to Hamburg - £500k Outrageous!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mel Sutton's son. Brilliant player, he shall long be remembered.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

5 mill serious!?

That seems a bargain to my generation nowadays lol

I find it funny when 17/18 year olds are talking about footy players and saying stuff like "Oh he's only 7 mill, a bargain lads!"

Strange we can talk about that much money as if its so little lol

• 4 years ago

its in basic terms a hearsay. besides he's worth extra desirable than that. if he's in form barcelona are unbeatable so if chelsea sign them they are very fortunate, pondering the undeniable fact that they purchase him for 12 million.

• 1 decade ago

Certainly do, I met him once and told him I hope he gets in the England team, he told me to f*ck off!

I hate Sutton, he was overrated and an ********, i hope he rots in hell!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

t'was the year of my birth so no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.