Sunil asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is it safe to allow a stranger to take care of my puppy while I'm gone?

Hi,

I was just wondering if it is safe to give my puppy to a stranger to look after it while I'm on my trip? I will be getting the persons ID, license plate, and any other evidence of the person. I found this guy on Craigslist. He said he takes care of dogs for numerous people. He lives in a house, and has his own family. Do you think I can trust him? I don't want to return to his house finding that the guy has left with my puppy. This has happened to my friends dad. Though he didn't get the persons ID.

Thanks greatly! =)

Favorite Answer

RU nutz? People have been murdered dealing with strangers on Craig's List! Is your puppy microchipped? Can this guy PROVE he has loads of happy customers? "Says" means nothing.

Honestly, I would not take the chance. Call some rescue organization fosters and ask them to recommend someone if you can't afford a boarding kennel. And make sure he's up to date on all his shots for at least 3 weeks before you leave him in a place where there are lots of other dogs.

Puppy Kindergarten is a wonderful way to socialize your dog and, depending on your area, is very affordable. I feel I should add, do not under any circumstances show concern when your puppy is afraid. If you comfort her/him it will only instill that the fears are accurate. Dogs take their cues from us so if you seem unconcerned, she/he may as well. I know this sounds cruel, but I have introduced dogs into the community that had never been socialized and this method works the best. Of course I start out with walking in a controlled area where there are only a few distractions. If he/she lays down out of submission, try walking in a circle as if that is what you intended to do in the first place. Dragging and force doesn't work and I would never advise that. If you have to, you can conceal a favourite treat cupped in your hand where your dog can see it throughout your walk as a bribe. :) You can reward your pup with a lot of praise when he/she shows the desired behaviour that you like and hopefully your walks will become a wonderful experience for both of you before too long. Please act soon to correct this behaviour. Fearful dogs often lead to biting if feeling cornered no matter how sweet they are. I have seen this far too often.

No. Seriously? Give the puppy to a trustworthy friend or family member while you're gone. You can't just trust random people on the internet, even if he says he's got a house and a family. Who knows, maybe he eats puppies.

Source(s): Common fucking sense

Never ever ever ever EVER leave your pet with a stranger!!! Would you leave your kid with a stranger that you found on craigslist???? That's completely and utterly insane! Find a reputable shelter or the vet or kennell or a friend or a relative or a neighbor! Someone you know better!

I would find a boarding facility. or a friend. Sometimes you just can't trust the people on CL.

i dont trust any one with my fur kids (dogs/puppys)

• Nora

I would never do that My sis lost her maltese that way. hire a person in the dog sitting business with a business license and get references.

My dog is like my child to me I have the person's driver license number, business license and picture.

I would NOT trust this guy. So what if he has ID, etc? You don't know him personally. Board your dog at kenneling facility or a vets office should they provide boarding.

No way !! If your vet doesn't board dogs, ask him for the name of a reliable, bonded dog hotel. PetSmart boards dogs here where I live,

Board with a reputable kennel or your vet.