Gift idea for physically disabled elderly man?

Doing a sort of "adopting" an elderly person at the convalescent hospital for the holiday season and I need a gift idea. 10-20 dollars.

Here's info about the man

50-60 years old

Likes to play cards

Has use of right arm but not the other (he holds it close to his chest)

He knows all the us capitals

Overall mentally clear ambulatory(can walk)

Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

A US puzzle.

A book on US history or geography

A rack for holding cards

Something warm and cheery to wear

Something decorative for his room

I agree 50-60 is not elderly, it is just past middle-aged

• 4 years ago

yes it is a great idea, if you want to make it realllllly special, go to the dollar store and buy a coffee mug (or use one out of your cabinet, just be sure it does not have any cracks or chips on it), then get a couple packets of those one cup servings hot chocolates (you can buy a box of swiss miss or nestles for about a dollar - use 2 or 3 packets tucked inside the cup and you will have the other 9 or 10 leftover for yourself!!!) then use a sheet of tissue paper or some newspaper or paper towels and wrap that around the cup then stuff it into a lunch bag sized paper bag, if the bag is real plain you can decorate it with drawings of marshmallows :)

• 9 years ago

50 - 60 is not elderly ! how about getting him a book.

• David
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

A small portable radio.

Sony makes a dandy one for about $10

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-S10MK2-Pocket-Radio...

They sell 'em at lots of other discount stores.

Add in 4 AA batteries and maybe a set of headphones, and it's good.

Lots of interesting stuff to listen to on AM radio late at night when he's all alone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

sounds weird, but get him this hand held thingo that does up buttons. my mum has finger amputations and it's really made it easier for her. i know it sounds stupid but i think it would be a good gift. they are cheap and simple to use. you could also get him some kind of card shuffler as he only has the use of 1 arm :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.