How will Qatar deal with Western women and gay people during the World Cup?

Now that it's official that Qatar will host the 2022 World Cup, will it change it's laws so that women can dress however they want, and gay people can openly go out without fear of being sent to prison?? I mean, what's wrong with FIFA choosing a country that still needs A LOT of things to fix internally before it can suit the needs of the FANS who attend the event? South Africa and Brazil may be compared to Qatar but these countries have no laws discriminating against women, gays, and everyday activities (drinking, bikini at the beach, etc.).

I read that women in Qatar must wear skirts that cover up to the half the calf, preferably the ankle. Seriously? With how hot it gets, women can't wear a bit less to stay a bit cooler.

• Best Answer

They will either relax their laws, or face the realization that many people might boycott/not attend if they feel strongly about it. But there will still be lots of diehard fans who will still go and just respect the laws of the country they are in.....'when in Rome'.

Everyone is forgetting that this is about FUTBOL!!!! As long as there is Futbol then there is a World Cup. The point of making these events in different parts of the world is so that one can adapt to where you are going and take in the cultural differences. If you can respect the laws of the people who live there have placed, THEN DONT GO! Watch from home in your thong and a wine bottle in one hand while jerking with the other and no one will tell you $#!T! Trust me, a paradise like QATAR does not need a bunch of people wanting to just get hammered and tear **** up... they will do fine even if they're stadiums dont fill... THIS IS ONE OF THE RICHEST NATIONS IN THE WORLD!!!

• Russ

I don't really have much of an answer, other than I hope the people in charge will take these things into account and try to be really good hosts.

Not a very good answer, but I just wanted to point out that yours is a *very* good question, and one that needed to be raised at a date as early as possible. Thank you for asking it; once others start thinking through these issues, perhaps a better answer will arise. Your posting of this question publicly and early on will help to assure that the solution is addressed ASAP.

Thanks for an incisive and timely question!

Lol that was my first thought this morning when it was announced!!!! I hear the stadiums will be air conditioned! I would actually like to see this mess lol. I mean such tyni country, just the stadiums will fill it all up. Just learned a fun fact about qatar on tv, they said they have the second best economy in the world!

They will ask visitors to observe their laws and customs and probably relax a few of them during the games in the areas the visitors are staying.

They are bending a lot of rules, but not by that much. A lot of people are going to be arrested for just acting normal.

• Éilis

They have 12 years to get their act together.. We shall see how it goes.

if you've ever travelled in the desert u know that those clothes help keep u cool. TRUST ME.

my first concern is safety. I mean with terrorists and Brits drinking up a drunk storm, who knows what will happen.

I still say they needed it to be held in the USA. give soccer the boost it needs in America.

They'll just have to.