Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Should I get a jacket for my 2 month old Yellow Labrador?

I am getting a yellow Labrador puppy. I live in Kitchener/Waterloo Canada and the weather gets pretty cold. I was wondering if I should get the pup a jacket since it's own coat is probably not fully equiped for the weather yet.

Should I also get something to protect his paws?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Best Answer

No. I'm firmly of the view that even with a young puppy like this, putting a coat on them could stop them growing the natural extra coat that he will need for the Winter out there. Just don't leave him outside for longer than he needs to do his biz. and under the circumstances, you may need to set up a papered area in front of the external door for the times you have a blizzard going on. I know it gets bad out there and we had a Christmas litter one year (although of course, they didn't need to put their noses out for several weeks by which time we were getting towards the better weather (well, you know, Ontario and all that ............ May?) but I think I'd just concentrate on getting him out when the sun's out, for when he needs to go, and otherwise keep him indoors. Ditto with the paws really. It's usually salt that gets to their feet, not so much the cold - again provided he's not left standing around out there.

ps What does his breeder recommend?

I wouldn't do the jacket. I also live in Ontario,northeast of Peterborough. I have a APBT cross who grows far less of a winter coat than a lab. He does just fine without an additional jacket. That being said, I do use boots, to protect his feet from the salt & chemicals they use on the roads. Before I used the boots, I would clean the salt & snow from his paws,but even with my meticulous cleaning & care his paws would end up irritated. Boots solved that problem. A side plus is people find him far less scary & intimidating when he's out with his boots. :-).Also, when the weather is THAT cold you aren't going to spend hours outside with him anyways.A jacket will prevent him from growing a proper winter coat. A jacket also will likely cause him to be too warm. Forget the jacket. Consider the boots or other foot protection,not for the cold factor but to protect from the salt & deicing chemicals.

He's a mammal and will have plenty of subcutaneous fat and enough dense coat to thermoregulate his own temperature. No need for outer wear. Just keep him moving when he is out exercising, and indoors otherwise. No long escapades out in the backyard with nothing to do. Ensure he maintains ideal body condition so you know he has enough mass and fat to keep warm, but not excess that actually makes thermoregulation difficult.

Ruffwear boots would be great for his paws. My retriever mix and english shepherd always wore them in the Rockies on trails and mountains. I recommend the boots to clients that live in or visit cold climates with high precipitation, for all sizes and breeds of dogs. I'm sure with ice melt products on the roads and walkways, you'll see skin damage and burns if you don't protect his paws, so you're thinking is correct. If you live in the country, it's less of a concern, as running across snowy fields has no exposure to these salts and melting products. If he gets iceballs of snow forming between his digits, then reconsider boots. Labrador retrievers were bred for cold temperatures and cold waters so he should be fine, even as a puppy of 8 weeks.

A coat would be cute, and probably a good idea. So would little booties for its paws, if its paws stick to the ice and he tries to move, the skin will probably rip. Though don't be surprised if he tries and takes off the booties. But still the puppy would look so cute. :D

Yes

sure for when she is outside for any length of time

my papillon gets a sweater when she is going somewhere

to go out and do her business i just dry her off when she comes in

if going to be out in salted area i might put on boots but rinse and dry feet for certain

Most Definitely. No boots.