Steven
Steven asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 10 years ago

Do I delete Windows7 before installing Windows98?

Since Windows7 will not run my old games, programs, etc, I have bit the bullet and bought Windows98 on eBay. My question now is do I install Windows98, then delete Windows7, or do I delete Windows7 before installing Windows98.

I am worried if I delete Windows7 my computer will not work at all. Then I am up the proverbial creek.

Has anyone else done anything like this? Any hints? Warnings? Instructions not included with the package?

Favorite Answer

You cannot install 98 while running 7. So you need to put win98 disk in and boot from cd using the bios(boot screen). Then format the hard drive and install win 98.

Then again... you could always just run your programs in compatibility mode.(right click .exe>properties>run in compatibility mode for win98)

That depends on your System Components, if they are pretty new. Chances are Window98 won't work because of hardware compatibility.

I had experience is i got a computer custom made, so it uses one of the newest hardware components but without the Operating System. As we were planning to install Window XP Professional, but it did not work because the drivers in the Window XP is too old to run (drivers) the hardware inside the computer (so it stop the installation), let alone using a much older Operating System (i.e. Window98). So in the end we used Window 7 operating system. This was like a couple months ago.

So if your computer hardware can easier run Window 7, the chances are Window98 may not be able to install, due to old drivers running new technology, and using a very very very old operating system does not help.

You must have ancient games...most old games i played before can run on Window XP just fine and some on Window 7.

So be weary of it =)

If I was you I would keep Windows 7 and forget 98 windows because the support for windows 98 is on the way out just like 95 windows is gone.Oh by the way windows 98 well not support the memory that windows 7. You well all remove all memory but 512 gb memory. The newer computer well not support windows 98. If you delete window 98 you well have to go back to windows 7. Now you well have to buy windows 7 and its cost something like around $350.00 plus for full version.

You install Windows 98 into a virtual machine while Windows 7 is running. You won't be able to get Windows 98 to run on any physical machine that's also capable of running Windows 7. The overlap in supported hardware is virtually nil.

Name one display that has both Windows 98 drivers and Windows 7 drivers. Name one network interface.

Unfortunately, there is no existing computer that can run both operating systems. If you did reformat your hard drive (uninstall Windows 7), it would not destroy your computer, however you would not be able to install and use Windows 98, as there is almost no hardware inside your computer that's compatible with it.

If you want to run Windows 3.1/95/98, then I would suggest using a virtual machine.

Most likely you the program will delete the ohter when you add on the new one. At least that's what happened to me.

Good luck!

M.