Repost! Which is better to do?

I'm halfway through my first year of college, in a course that is a prerequisite for almost anything health related.THe course is one year long, then you graduate. However, I have no idea what I want to do after I graduate! I wanted to be a dental hygienist, but there just aren't any jobs there. My parents are pushing me to be a nurse (ugh..no thanks! I have a lot of respect for nurses, but I could NEVER in a million years be one!). I wanted to be a paramedic, but my parents shot that down...they don't think I could handle it. I want to take a year off and figure out what my calling is, and then apply for a program I really want to do, but my parents think it's best that I just stay in college, and go into nursing after I graduate the prerequisite course. HELP! What should I do? Take a year off and find my calling, or suck it up and do what my parents want me to?

Favorite Answer

Paramedic can be pretty bloody at tomes. I have seen the EMT/Paramedic text and had trouble not throwing up.

If you take a year off you will be a waitress all your life.

Do note there are many types of work nurses do. You do not need to do shift work in a hospital. You could be a school nurse or a traveling nurse for an insurance company to do basic medical examinations.

Consider going to a community college 2 nights a week for a semester to get an Emergency Medical Technician qualification. This will also be a cheap way to see if you can handle the blood as a paramedic. Some universities also offer this as an undergrad course. After you get your license you can work 1-2 24 hour shifts a week. And you can study or sleep between calls. The hourly rate is not that great but you can do at least one 24 hour shift a week while going to school.

As well, nursing schools will look at this a lot better as it means you will have experience in life or death situations. That you have already been exposed to the messy side of medicine and if you can handle being an EMT, you are a good candidate for nursing school. It has been known that EMTs who go to nursing school are often steered into the ER if they are not already planning to go there.

As well you can get an extra dollar an hour in most places if you get a qualification to drive the rig.

And if you do not get into nursing school, then you can take the full paramedic program which will give you something you can actually make a living doing.

My daughter got her EMT-B ticket while a senior in college and it made the difference in getting a fellowship while in grad school. In DC she is seen as an expert in first responder safety in her chosen field of transportation. She was also offered a priority admittance into medical school (which she declined). As well, she says the rush you get riding in (or driving) an ambulance with lights and siren going is as good as sex. She gets to drive a big GMC rig coming it at about 5 tons.