Idling your car if it has a turbo?

Hi. I drive a car that has a turbo. Its a general rule amongst motorists that you should idle your car for about 1minute after a long journey (after about 70km or 50miles). It has something to do with the fact that your car's turbo needs to cool down and the oil needs to circulate through out your engine.... show more Hi. I drive a car that has a turbo. Its a general rule amongst motorists that you should idle your car for about 1minute after a long journey (after about 70km or 50miles). It has something to do with the fact that your car's turbo needs to cool down and the oil needs to circulate through out your engine.

Its suggested that if you switch off your car without idling your car after a long drive, then your engine will become damaged.

PS.. Some people don't know what "idling" is.. so, it is "letting your car run, while standing still"..
Here in South Africa we use the term "idling your car". Americans use "letting your car run".

What I want to know is.. How much truth is behind this whole idling a turbo car thing?

Also, I drive a bike (gsxr 600), should you let your bike idle after driving a long distance to prevent engine damage?

Thanks in advance for your answers.