Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 10 years ago

who is rosa parks determined?

just wondering

• Marli
    Favorite Answer

Ms. Parks wasn't just any Black seamstress who refused to vacate her seat on a bus for a white man. She was active in the Civil Rights movement in the U.S. and her refusal - her act of resistance that stopped the bus and got her arrested - was symbolic. "The law treats me as inferior to you but I am not; therefore I am asserting my right as a person and taxpayer to remain seated on the seat I've paid to sit upon." She didn't say that; but that's the gist. Her action, and its consequences, sparked the Montgomery Alabama bus boycott. (That showed that black people did not ride buses so the city lost revenue therefore the city better change its regulation.)

• jones

Rosa Parks was a Black woman who refused to relinquish her seat on a public bus in Montgomery, Al., in December of 1955. She had the seat; a white man wanted it. Her refusal did set off a massive economic boycott in Montgomery which ultimately brought many concessions from not only the bus company but the white power structure as well. It was, in ne sense, an isolated incident, but it became both symbolic and and meaningful in the larger context of the Civil Rights movement.

• Robin

determined what...

Rosa Parks who was refused a seat at the front of the bus...and started what became a massive dispute/protest across the southern states of america.