Why are black and white churches so different?

I'm young mixed American my race depicts of four separate but full races. My question is why do black people seem to have more fun in the church than white people.? Why do black preachers "get down" and white preachers speak in monotone the whole sermon? Why does black choirs sing hard and rock and clap and all that when white choirs simply hum to a cd that's playing.?

Favorite Answer

I can only think it is a cultural thing. I just wish the white churches would get some of that culture, for why attend church at all if you aren't intense about your beliefs? I tried to attend a black church, but I didn't at all feel welcomed. And that brings me to another thought. If the various races can't even attend worship together, how can we ever learn to live together successfully?

Source(s): experience

I think your question is somewhat biased towards black churches. Hey, I have lived in Northern Ireland all my life and would suggest that you permit people to worship their God in the manner they chose without being judgemental. To do otherwise could and probably would incite religious intolerance which includes the potential for violence. White services do tend to be more conservative but here in Ireland most churches have excellent choirs and the clergy normally deliver the service with the sombre reverence and respect which has been the tradition for centuries before we introduced Christianity to you black folk.

Wow!!! What a stereotype! i've got been to all styles of church homes. Black and white. I even have seen blacks in church who sing hymns and be very stoic. I even have seen white human beings in church communicate in tongues and run up and down the aisles feeling the Holy Spirit. "suffering ache and humiliation?" how are you able to be sure what somebody is feeling? you're able to desire to bypass to black church homes and not in basic terms those you spot on t.v.

It goes way back....

Whites have always had this notion that we must keep ourselves contained and be 'proper'... (even leading to the Victorian era sexual repression where it was forbidden to even see eachother's ankles.. haha).

Black churches, when they first originated, were formed by slaves and was a sacred place for them to let loose and go all out, without anyone interfering with their worship.

So even to this day, parts of the roots have remained..

black people are more fun tbh

• CAL

Black people have resisted assimilation.

I know! I think its because they are more gospel-y. And have different veiws? Idk but i would loveeeeee if my church was like theirs!