GAY GUYS ONLY: does a compliment from a gay guy to a straight woman really count?

if a gay guy compliments a straight woman on her beauty, should she accept this as a sincere, genuine comment or is it more along the lines of him just being nice and making conversation? Am I making sense? In college, a lot of gay guys (and a few straight guys) told me I was beautiful. However, compliments from gay guys just confuse me because I know that they are not interested in me (obviously) but yet, they say i'm beautiful-so does this make their comment meaningless? Or should I be glad that despite their sexual orientation, they know and appreciate a beautiful woman when they see one? I hope i am making sense. Sorry if my choice of wording offended anybody, that is definitely not the case.

• Favorite Answer

You seem to equate beauty to sexual objectification, exclusively. If you don't change this view, you will be making some really bad choices and decisions in the near future, as this could suggest low self-esteem by an undying need to be desired and wanted.

• Amanda

I absolutely love dancing at gay bars, it's wonderful not be be accosted all night on the dance floor and the men & women are cool...it's okay just to go and have fun; no need to be 'on the prowl'... doesn't bother me when I occasionally get hit on by girls..with only 1 exception ever (at a 'straight' bar actually) I've never had a woman be obnoxious about hitting on me..it's just nbd...I'm straight and comfortable enough to party with my gay and bi gf's .. and I really do like most gay men; they're cool and fun to be around

I would think a compliment from a gay man is similar to a compliment from a straight woman... friendly with a 50/50 percent chance that they are sincere.

First, you need to understand how much compliments from gay guys can tell you. It's a heck of a lot, but it won't tell you if guys will be attracted to you.

Is it possible for gay guys to think you're beautiful, but you not be attractive to guys? Of course! Just look at Lady Gaga :).

Really, I don't understand why any girl asks here if she's attractive/beautiful/pretty/whatever. Just go to a bar, and guys will tell you. And you don't even have to spend any time with them.... it's amazing.

Seriously, guys would love to have such an easy "am I attractive" test.

Geez, you girls :).

A compliment, is a complement. It does not matter who says it. Once its sincere. Gay guys know a beautiful lady when we see them.

I'm a straight guy but they probably just take it as a compliment. Like they would from another straight woman.

• Dude

I think it could be both. I compliment girls in my school and they take it as a sincere comment and sometimes even making a conversation.

Girls can notice if other girls are pretty, even if they're straight. Guys can notice attractive guys even when they're straight. I think a lot of girls are pretty and it doesn't mean i'm interested in them sexually. If a straight girl told me I was pretty, I would still believe she was telling me the truth.

• Marcus

we may be gay, but we can recognize genuine beauty in a woman. we're just not turned on by your beauty sexually like straightos. it's a compliment, take et! ^_^

• DaveK

Why wouldn't it? Recognition of a beauty has nothing to do w/ who you desire as a potential partner. There's guys I may find attractive as well and doesn't necessarily mean I want to sleep with them.