Collecting knives..Tips?

So i just started collecting knives....I know a bit about them but not a lot. I know all the laws and honeslty I could care less about them. ANYWAY, can anyone give me tips on knives...Like best places to get them...How to tell where its made....ANYTHING to do with knives (not kitchen knives please) Thank you! Ten points for who ever tells me them most!

• John T
    Favorite Answer

I've been collecting knives for 40 years and basically I have built 3 different collections. I have an "investment" collection that mostly consists of Randall Made and Puma knives. Randall Made knives tend to be expensive to buy but have also tend to increase significantly--one of my early purchases is currently worth 300 times what I paid for it--40 years ago. Classic Puma knives can still be found new in old hardware stores, sporting goods stores (usually in smaller towns) and even in estate sales. If you're going to "investment" collect you need to choose knives with a proven record of increasing values and learn everything you can about the knives you plan to collect. About 10 years ago I had a man sell me a Crutch Tip Randall for $100 because it wasn't worth anything since it had a Solingen steel blade--he was quite wrong.

My second collection is knives that I've picked up that have sentimental value and/or are just catch my eye at the moment. This collection has things like switch blades, bayonets, advertising knives, and others--a very eclectic collection. Some are worth more than I paid for them, some aren't, but I don't particularly care--I just try to make sure I don't lose money.

My third collection is "lace blade" knives like the Spyderco "Q" knife. While most have increased in value some haven't, and I don't care--I collect them because I like the blades. You might build a collection of a particular style--hawkbills, canoes, 2 blade congress, Buck, Case, etc. just because you like them. These are bought for their aesthetic value, so steel quality and potential for value increase aren't really a factor.

So, my advice is to look at catalogs, read magazines, Blade Magazine, Case Collector Magazine, watch eBay, go to knife shows--ask questions. Start small, and collect things you like that way doesn't sting so much if you lose money.

umm check yard sales for old knives with origanal boxes, ask someone and find people that need money and offer to buy knives, sometimes people dont need a knife and need the money , my uncle got a 120 dollar case xx for 10 dollars cause a guy needed the money for gas. knife collection takes a good while to form a real 'collection' . trade with people, check pawn shops, ask around at work, and one tip would be to talk to the older men and women and church . my buddy got an l&n railroad commemerative knife that was only given to a few employees and in a collecters box with a monogramed blade, so rare that ive looked online for a few years for one and still havent even found one, and it was given to him buy a old man at his church that worked there in the 30's and another tip, buy older buck and case knives froms the 60's and 70's, they tend to bring big money when trading cause of the rarity and if there from the 60's and you had them down to children then they will be well over 100 years old leaving the second generation. once you got a good collection, take them out periodically, oil the springs and wipe em down good, best bet for storage would be a closet or drawer wrapped up away from moisture, do NOT leave outside in a shed(water damage and if rats get through the box you can flush your collection down the drain) . i hope i can help.

Source(s): i have a collection of my own

It depends upon what you are looking for. I would stay away from flea market knives. Those kinds of knives are flashy, cheap, and not well made. Knife stores and garage sales are good places to go. There are a myriad of brands--some not necessarily high quality, but good enough to collect if they aren't made anymore. Brands I would look for would be Case, Kabar, Gerber, Buck, Hen and Rooster, Schrade-Walden (and Schrade -Walden Old-Timer and Uncle Henry), Imperial, Camillus, Boker Tree,Eyeball (or Eyewitness, depending what name anybody attaches to it), Colonial, Queen, Ulster, Coldsteel, Kershaw, Russell, Sabre, Western, and more.

If I was to collect knives, the first one I would get is the new KA-BAR with the Iraq Freedom on it, and then a winchester bowie knife. Then I should suggest a steak knife lol

The ka-bar knife any buck knife bowie knife and if u want a knife to last the longest get a german steel or swiss steal knife the have a harder steal witch will last longer

buck and gerber are very good knives.

Check out www.budK.com and www.smkw.com