What should I cook for my annoying picky vegan guest?

I have a guest coming over, and she's really annoying and picky and to top it all, she's vegan! What meal should I cook for her that pretty much guarantees that she'll like...?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Emma
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Vegetable Gumbo

1 Onion, chopped

½ Green pepper, diced

2 Ribs Celery, diced

1 Clove garlic, minced

1 lb Okra, sliced, fresh, frozen

1 lb Tomatoes, fresh, or canned

2 cups Corn, fresh, frozen, canned

1 teaspoon Vegetable Bouillon granules

½ cups White Grape Juice

½ cups Water

¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce

¼ teaspoon Paprika

2 tablespoon Fresh chopped parsley

1 tablespoon Basil or Rosemary, minced

Method: In a large heavy stew pot, place bouillon and ½ C white grape juice, onion, green pepper, celery garlic, cook until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add other ingredients, cook over low heat, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking to bottom. Cover and simmer gently until corn and okra are done. (or simmer in crockpot 6-7 hours) Serve in bowls over hot rice.

Note: Cut fresh corn from cob with a sharp knife, then scrape the remaining corn off the cob. Four ears will make about two cups. If you use dried herbs, rub them with the palms of your hands before adding to the pot, this releases their aroma and goodness.

Vegan Lasagna

Yield: 8 servings

3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

2 tablespoon olive oil

1½ cups chopped onion

3 tablespoon minced garlic

4 can stewed tomatoes

1/3 cups tomato paste

½ cups chopped fresh basil

½ cups chopped parsley

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 package lasagna noodles

2 lb firm tofu

2 tablespoon minced garlic

¼ cups chopped fresh basil

¼ cups chopped parsley

½ teaspoon salt

ground black pepper to taste

Make the sauce: In a large, heavy saucepan, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Place the onions in the saucepan and saute them until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 5 minutes more.

Place the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and parsley in the saucepan. Stir well, turn the heat to low and let the sauce simmer covered for 1 hour. Add the salt and pepper.

While the sauce is cooking bring a large kettle of salted water to a boil. Boil the lasagna noodles for 9 minutes, then drain and rinse well.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Place the tofu blocks in a large bowl. Add the garlic, basil and parsley. Add the salt and pepper, and mash all the ingredients together. Mix well.

Assemble the lasagna: Spread 1 cup of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole pan. Arrange a single layer of lasagna noodles, sprinkle one-third of the tofu mixture over the noodles. Distribute the spinach evenly over the tofu. Next ladle 1½ cups tomato sauce over the tofu, and top it with another layer of the noodles. Then sprinkle another 1/3 of the tofu mixture over the noodles, top the tofu with 1½ cups tomato sauce, and place a final layer of noodles over the tomato sauce. Finally, top the noodles with the final 1/3 of the tofu, and spread the remaining tomato sauce over everything.

Cover the pan with foil and bake the lasagna for 30 minutes.

Berry Almond Bundt Cake

2 cups Unbleached all-purpose flour

¾ cups Cornmeal

1 teaspoon Cream of tartar

2 teaspoon Baking soda

1 cups Light soy milk

2 teaspoon Lemon juice

2 tablespoon Egg replacer, -=OR=-

½ cups Water

1 cups Natural applesauce

1½ cups Brown sugar

1/3 cups Light corn syrup

1 teaspoon Vanilla extract

1 teaspoon Almond extract

2 cups Dried cranberries

¾ cups Ground almonds

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.

Sift together flour, cornmeal, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

Mix soy milk and lemon juice and set aside.

Whisk egg replacer and water until light and foamy. Set aside.

Mix applesauce and brown sugar in a medium-size bowl. Beat in egg replacer, corn syrup and extracts.

Add applesauce mixture and soy milk alternately to dry ingredients, mixing after each addition.

Fold in cranberries and almonds.

Pour into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean, about one hour. Let cool for 10 minutes and invert onto a serving plate to finish cooling.

Drizzle cooled cake with an icing glaze or sprinkle with powdered sugar.

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Perfect Paleo Recipes Cookbook : http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?OhMl
  • 9 years ago

Depends on your kitchen skills, but here is a Chili recipe, Vegan Style... give it a whirl, super simple and should be real tasty if you know your seasonings...

Chili

2 C Kidney beans, cooked

2 C Black beans, cooked

1 C Onions, chopped

1/2 C Red bell pepper,chopped

3 C Diced tomatoes, canned

2 Garlic cloves, minced

1 TB Olive oil

1 TB Cumin

1 TB Paprika

1 tsp Onion powder

1/2 tsp Garlic powder

3/4 tsp Basil

1 tsp Beef-style seasoning

2 tsp Salt

1/2 TB Honey

1 C Tomato paste

1. Saute garlic, onion and bell peppers in olive oil.

2. Add remainder of ingredients (except beans) and mix in well.

3. Add beans to the tomato mixture and allow to simmer in saucepan for 45-60 minutes.

Yield: 8 C

These beans are delicious with steamed cabbage and Cornbread.

Source(s): www.tastyveganrecipes.com/Chili.html
  • 9 years ago

I would do some kind of a meat free salad (that the rest of your guests would like of course) and then a starch and a vegetable that goes along with whatever meat you were going to do. I would never change up a whole Dinner plan just for one guest, unless she is the only one coming over. If it happens that she is the only one (or even if you have a couple of guests coming), I would make portabella mushroom burgers. Drizzle the mushroom gills lightly with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and grill or broil. They have a bit of a beefy taste to them and make Vegans and Carnivores alike happy.

Source(s): I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I did work in the food service industry for well over 20 years.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Annoying vegan guest huh? Just go buy a pack of Morning Star veggie patties. If u really wanna shove it to her make some of my onions...

Cut a peeled onion in half, make squares of tinfoil add a pad of butter (in hers use a bit of olive oil instead) add about a Tbsp of Better Than Beef Bullion (in hers use a bit of soy sauce). Wrap up in little packages and put in he oven or on the grill on medium high heat for about 20 mins. The onions should be really soft.

Top your burgers withe the onions and drizzle the sauce on the top part of the toasted bun.

If it was me I would tell her it had olive oil and soy sauce but give her the regular ones. When she says it doesn't taste like soy sauce and onions tell her SHE grabbed the wrong onion packet, ah haha!

• Lucy
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Pasta with tomatoes & veggies is easy. Don't put yourself out too much. Some people think that saying they are vegan makes them seem interesting (it doesn't, it is just annoying). Not only that, she thinks she is special because she is putting others out and they feel obligated to accommodate her.

Vegan = Needy for attention and validation

• 9 years ago

Linguine marinara, fresh italian bread(offer olive oil for dipping) and salad with a vinegar based dressing. Not sure how to handle the whole dessert thing. Sorry vegetarians I get. Vegans are just obnoxious.

• Me
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Serve a salad and rolls with your dinner and let the vegan worry about it from there.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Make a vegetable casserole or soup.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

if she is that difficult tell her its a potluck and bring her own dinner. lol. no but really if she is that picky and a vegan you probably wont be able to please her anyways.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.