Does a girl get her period when they have leukemia?

I'm just wondering. I have been feeling really odd lately. No matter what time I go to sleep at night I end up sleeping until 4 or 3 pm, I've been getting sick easy, dizzy when I stand up, head aches, ear aches and I'm just not hungry. I have to make myself eat, then I feel bad >< I've only had a green tea latte today and now i feel like I've eaten too much. It's 5:46. It's not all the time that I'm tired, but it's getting more often and I end up all sweaty when I wake up. I get my period, but it's really heavy, so heavy I need to change tampons every like two hours or less, and use lots of toilet paper along with pads. That or I'd been going through pads every half an hour. Plus they have been getting longer, about 8 days, and coming a few days early. I'm 17 and I've been getting my period since I was twelve, so I'd think it should be a little more regular? I don't know, my friend thinks it could be anemia, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to go to the doctors soon for a blood test. I've had good days and bad days and today is a bad day >< I think I'm going to go and have a nap after this, I'm dead tired. Thanks for the information, it really helps =]

Best Answer

Menstrual difficulties are not a common sign of any type of acute leukemia.

Depending on the stage and type of leukemia, menstruation should not be affected.

Strongly suggest you see your primary care physician and then a gynecology specialist.

Leukemia can easily be ruled out with a simple CBC blood test.

Source(s): MD hematologist and medical oncologist - blood specialist and cancer specialist doctor for 20 years
  • rob d