Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 9 years ago

Did other performers sing the song "A Fool Such As I" before Elvis Presley recorded it?

Note: "A Fool Such As I" was published in 1952.

• Peepaw
    Favorite Answer

"(Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I" is a popular song written by Bill Trader and was published in 1952. Performed by Hank Snow it peaked at number four on the country charts early in 1953.

Since the original Snow version, "Fool Such as I" — as the song is sometimes known — has been covered and released as singles several times, by artists as diverse as Jo Stafford, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan and Baillie & the Boys.

Other versions:

Jo StaffordThe recording by Jo Stafford was released by Columbia Records as catalog number 39930. It reached the Billboard Best Seller chart on February 28, 1953 at number twenty, its only week on the chart.

Elvis PresleyA recording by Elvis Presley, initially released as b-side to "I Need Your Love Tonight", was an even bigger hit, reaching number one in the UK and number two in the USA (1959). The Elvis Presley version went to number sixteen on the R&B charts and featured backing vocals by The Jordanaires.

Petula ClarkPetula Clark's French language version titled "Prends mon Cœur", was more successful in France (#9, 1960) than Elvis Presley's version.

Bob DylanIn 1967, Bob Dylan recorded the song during the Basement Tape sessions. Although never officially released, the recording has been widely bootlegged. Dylan would go on to record the song again in April 1969; that version was released in 1973 by Columbia on the Dylan album.

Baillie & the BoysIn 1990, Baillie & the Boys released the song from its album The Lights of Home. This version would peak at No. 5 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart. It was the trio's last Top 10 hit on the country charts.

Bill Trader, it was a country song!