Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

A Question for Atheists?

So I'm a 16 year old guy. And I'm honestly just not happy. I can't find anything that I really enjoy doing anymore. My mom is Catholic. I used to be too, but I wasn't happy and it didn't make sense to me so I just decided to leave. I don't really have any beliefs now. I'm ******* up in school and I'm assuming I'll fail 11th grade. I really can't concentrate. I question too many things in life, I just sort of try to be distant from people. What should I do to be happy? The only time I feel better is if I drink alcohol but I don't want to become dependent on that ****. So what should I do to bring myself happiness?

Favorite Answer

No sweat, I hear ya', so here's what you're going to do.

You're going to learn how to play the guitar (and sing and write deeply disturbing rock songs preferably). This will open up the celestial gates again, chicks dig it, it will give you purpose, something to do, and it's the coolest thing on this planet bar none, you got me?

Be courageous, diligent, a little disciplined, and stop whining. What would Dirty Harry do in your situation? What would Luke Skywalker do?

They would both scared out of their minds, but they would overcome it, and take on the bad guys of the universe (and in some cases, the bad guys are our own gloom and doom attitudes), squint their eyes, stand up straight, and cut aliens in half with their light saber (okay, maybe that last part is a bad example, but you get my drift.)

If Demi Moore could be G.I. Jane girl in the Navy Seals, and if 5'5" inch tall dudes can play in the NBA (Milwaukee), then you can do this.

Now get out there and find a guitar, start practicing AC/DC's song Sin City as a starter, and rock this world.

The chicks are waiting for you to rise above all the petty squabbles of this life and be a hero, gad dam it, now on your feet, Soldier, rock on.

"Gong"

And while you're doing that, you're gonna' start to pass 11th Grade again, because being held back a grade in school is the absolute worst thing you could do with your life.

The minimum this society requires of you is a High School Diploma or GED equivalent, but I highly recommend taking some college courses after high school so you won't be a total 'tard

Drugs and alcohol will not help long term You weren't happy when you were catholic and you aren't happy now, so i'm not sure what religion has to do wiht this at all... but you should figure out what can make you happy and do it. Try some hobbies, get some friends...you know.normal things. And if you are missing believing in god or something..then talk to the wall and act like it will give you whatever you ask for..then...look REALLY hard for those things. you'll see them some of the time and then it will be like the wall answered you. Then you can worship the wall. okay this is going too far but you should find something to do that makes you happy besides alcohol.

Bro, that's not the right way to happiness. In fact, it is the way to sadness. Be like your (close to your GOD). You said you were a Catholic but I don't think you were like that from inside because if you were so you wouldn't have asked such question. I don't mean don't ask but I mean you would have found the answer in the bible. Therefore, don't leave your religion because the Satan does all what he can to make you unhappy.

Our Lord Jesus has already experienced what your experiencing. In fact more than this. Yet he was loyal to his Father. So try to be like him. You can do so by surfing on the following website & subscribing to it http://www.gotquestions.org .

BTW, I am not a Catholic but an Orthodox Christian.

May the LORD be with us all.

I went through a rough patch when I was in grade 11 myself. First of all, don't be to hard on yourself, it's the most difficult year of high school. Secondly, Alcohol is not the way. You're fooling yourself if you think it brings you happiness, it just numbs you. Every person is different, for me, I had put a wall around myself and was experiencing a sort of... Mental block. I decided to write everything down on paper. Sometimes I would just put pen to paper and let anything that came into my mind pour out. I looked at what I had written, I let out my frustration and just tried to understand myself and the feelings I was experiencing. I figured out what was causing me to feel this way and i realized that it came from constant clashing with my mother (who was dealing with problems of her own) and the passing away of my grandfather. Once I identified the source, I felt a little more able to deal with myself. It's okay to distance yourself for a while. Take some time to just be alone and think. I did it during my Winter break. It didn't improve right away, I think it took me a good year to get back on track. The biggest change I made was simply to take every moment as it came. I stopped analyzing everything, I stopped planning ahead. I just did things as they came while constantly staying conscious of my thoughts and feelings. And I made a choice to be happy. In difficult situations, I simply make the choice to be calm and stay happy and deal with the situation. I've always been passionate about music, and I started writing again. I read because I love imagining up Worlds outside of this one. I started to volunteer at a hospital and homeless shelter and I've found that helping others brings me joy. I repaired the problems with my mom by opening up to her, and allowing her to open up to me, and I was honest with her about my choice to be atheist, which she respects. I can't tell you what will bring you happiness, but you can find out if you search.

For school, try to get a tutor, asking for help and communication are key to getting back on track at school.

Talk to your parents or another trusted adult <a school counselor, teacher, aunt, uncle, etc.> regarding your feelings and ask for their help in getting appropriate treatment..

Your statement " The only time I feel better is if I drink alcohol but I don't want to become dependent on that ****." is very telling... You are dependent, you admit your dependence in the first portion of the statement and then attempt to back off of it in the second half...

Get your emotions out. Dance. Make music. Write. Draw. Paint. Anything. Art is a great outlet. Put on music, close the door, and let it move you. Don't distance yourself too much. Wait. Perhaps you'll fall in love. Then that will change everything. Don't roll your eyes, it could happen. Try new things. Eventually you'll find something you're into something you're passionate about.

You were right to not believe in the ancient legends that your mom does. Make a list of reachable goals (for example: to get your own place). Next make a list of the steps you need to do to reach those goals (for example: get a good education so you can get a good job). Concentrate on taking those steps. Forget the alcohol because it will only screw up your life and you may never reach your goals.

Find your calling in life. Do something that makes you and others happy.

In the mean time do some non religious charity work and read books such as The God Delusion etc.

You'll be ok, you just need to learn to take responsibility for yourself and to just be good for the sake of it.

Cheers

P.S. email me if you need a hand out of your problems

I'll be honest with you, dude. Atheism doesn't make you happy. I'm an atheist. Sometimes I wish I could just accept the idea that there was an all knowing, benevolent god watching over me but I can't. I've tried.

Believe it or not, you will be happier if you do well in school. It will open up so many doors for you. It's no fun. I hated it, but I did it.

Seek out help from somone who can give it to you, dont look for amaizing life chinging answers on this site.

Im not a psychologist, or anything but you can message me if you want