Atheist supporters: When will you build your own brand new hospitals and health centers cos?

catholic hospitals won't let me euthanize my grandpa. He is becoming a burden. I want you to do it.

My point to this question is to show how the rest of the world sees atheists.

Favorite Answer

The vast majority of hospitals in the UK are secular, although they provide a chaplain service for those who need it.

Assisted dying isn't legal in the UK, but people do go to The Dignitas clinic in Forch, near Zurich, Switzerland for the service, where it is legal. And the UK Crown Prosecution Service seems to take a sensitive and pragmatic view of this.

The debate about legalising it in the UK is ongoing, as can be seen from this example: http://www.battleofideas.org.uk/index.php/2009/ses...

If it does become legalised, then the law will have to have safeguards that make sure it isn't used when people become, or feel themselves that they have become, burdens. It must ensure that the rights of the individual concerned are protected, and that their wishes are handled sensitively. Whatever lessons can be learned from Switzerland should be sought.

Your point about "how the rest of the world sees atheists" is of course baloney. I've never encountered such blatant aggression, and I haven't believed in God or supernatural beings for over 40 years. Whether we believe in God or not, we are the same species and have the same sorts of feelings, compassion and respect for others. There is some variation, of course; but that is among all groups whether believers or not.

1 - At least here in the U.S., euthanasia is illegal in most states. If we built a clinic in the United States, most of them wouldn't be permitted to euthanize people anyway.

2 - We aren't an organized group, we don't charge our members tithes or anything like that, and we don't agree on any other issues. It's a stance on exactly one question, not an organized group centered around doctrine.

In other words: how many people can you name that built a hospital with his own money? That's more the spirit of the situation.

There are already more non-religious hospitals and health care centers than religious ones.

That doesn't mean they allow euthanasia -- that's a social and legal issue, not an "atheist" one.

Your point is rather silly.

Peace.

• You are confusing murder with euthanasia which is ALWAYS a personal free choice: something the Catholic church doesn't think I have a right to.

P.S. Who elected YOU to speak for the 'rest of the world'? I don't remember your election?

"My point to this question is to show how the rest of the world sees atheists.'

You mean in a wholly invalid light, born of ignorance and religious bias?

Then you've done an excellent job of it. You've also reinforced why the skewed views of many religious fundamentalists are dangerous, frightening concepts.

Dostoevsky posed the idea, if not the exact quote, that

If God does not exist, everything is permitted.

This is why Christian doctors, or Christian hospitals, do not perform abortions or euthanize people. So asking an atheist to do it makes more sense.

• Sparx

There are mental institutes made just for people like you. All hospitals are atheists, you can tell because religion doesn't teach you to go to hospitals. You're supposed to go to the elders of the church and let them pray for you, like that would help.

There are many, many non-secular hospitals to choose from.

And my grandmother's doc was Catholic (worked at a Catholic hospital) and suggested terminating life support because she was suffering.

• The atheists I know would rather build strip clubs than hospitals.

Dumbarse - that's how the rest of the world see christians.