is it right that taxpayers have to pay for a royal wedding?

i mean the government doesn't help to pay for weddings, why should we pay for williams and kate's?

Favorite Answer

Where did you hear that the taxpayer was paying for the wedding? I heard the the brides parents and Charles or the Queen was paying for it. Has everything changed?

The wedding is being paid for by both the Queen and the brides family. The only thing the Government is paying for is security, and this applies to any function similar to a Royal wedding eg state visits. It is amazing how people like to blame Royalty for their own failures in life.

It's scriptural:

Old time Jewish people said, hey we want a some jazzy king.

God said, ok, but he will tax you.

Not that giving up the Royals would bring God's favor now, just a historical note per certain reports.

English Royals are very smart, you have that.

We won't be paying for it. The families are paying for it as has been clearly stated if you read the news. The Middletons are self-made millionaires and can well afford to chip in. http://www.partypieces.co.uk/ is the family business - it's not obvious from the home page but they do wedding supplies too, and maybe they can use their connections to get stuff for the reception and the dinner/dance at cost price - I bet they will!

The ONLY cost to the taxpayer is in police overtime for policing the crowd on the route to and from Westminster Abbey. And as the wedding is at Westminster Abbey, it's not a long route. I KNOW - I've walked it many times and I always advise it for tourists to London as you get to see so much in such a short space of time.

• Josh

We are not paying for the wedding. We are paying for the security which is to protect:

A) The diplomats/head of states/head of government and other important people invited.

B) The big one. To protect us the Public who are going to line the street on the day.

I mean they could not provide the security but post people are unhappy when they get killed by terrorists and the like.

Not to mention that the number of tourists it brings will help the economy.

The parents are paying for the wedding. The Treasury is paying for security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_of_Prince_Wil...

Think of it as an investment, the royals get a wedding, we get tourist money.

I believe your question is naive:

Theroyal family gives the UK massive global publicity. In turn this translates to money

This event will provide massive global exposure eqyalling money.

In essence a very large proportion of this money comes back in tax which pays for NHS and many other services.

I suspect Kate and William would sooner havexa private wedding - wouldnt you?

But as a tax payer this is an invesrment abd wuth a large return on invesrment.

Ask yourself do you not want this investment because you are jealous of theur money and priveledge.

Id also like to add: tge vast majority of people in tbus country do not pay enough taxes for the NHS services they use.

That money comes elsewhere - this is one of the areas

It was my understanding that the Queen and the brides parents were footing the bill? I would be royally p/o if I were English. You all should protest or something.

OK, fine.

Prince William should go out and get a job. He's got an expensive education, gone to all the best schools since he was a toddler, he's got to be qualified for something...right?

Yeah. That would work! Tell the paparazzi to leave him alone. Uh-huh.

Then there's the work itself...who would hire him? They'd either mob him for his celebrity, or they'll deliberately avoid him because they DON'T want to be in the spot light. Either way, he's not making money.

Then there are terrorists. How expensive do you think it would be if someone got a hold of a genuine Prince in line to the throne of England!?!

Then there are garden variety crazy people who think they can hassle him just because...the moon told them too.

Then there are gold diggers, thieves and ordinary people who would take advantage of the situation.

As soon as he gets upset about his treatment, the paparazzi are there to say he's got anger management issues, he's cheating on Kate, abusing drugs, fathering alien babies, and a closet homosexual...

Yeah. This sounds do-able.

Not!

So, what would you have them do?

Beg in the street?

Get an Ebay store?

Oh - I know! They could have a reality show in the palace. We could all pay to get glimpses of the Queen in her nightgown.

Uh-huh.

That's classy. Such a tribute to the long and storied history of your great nation.