Cooking shrimp 5 star for good answer?

I bought this frozen shrimp from walmart last night

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Preferred-Freezer-Svc-of...

Long link i know, I wanna know how to cook and prepare this. it says thaw and serve.. umm no How do you cook this ( Prefer boiled) But lets hear your method :D Thanks alot. 5 stars for best answer

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

It's already cooked. You can warm it in melted butter, or serve it cold with tartar or coctail sauce, or chop it into a salad, or use it in any recipe calling for pre=cooked shrimp. If you want to use it in a recipe calling for raw shrimp, I'd add it at the end, just long enough to warm it through, not keep cooking it; it'll get hard and stringy.

• 9 years ago

Well, as you can see from reading the label, these are already cooked. You coudl merely thaw them in the fridge, then eat w/ cocktail sauce. If you want to thaw them quickly, you can do so in seasoned, boiling water. Maybe 3 quarts, enough salt to make it taste like se water, and if you liek spice, a couple glugs of Zatarain's Crab & Shrimp Boil. Bring this to a boil (vent over stove on). Don't inhale the steam, but drop all the shrimp in at once. The water doesn't even need to return to the boil. Remember, they're already cooked and if they boil NOW they will be tough and fibrous. One minute ought to thaw them while seasoning them sufficiently. Dip in tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, hollandaise, or whatever you like!

• 9 years ago

If it's "thaw and serve," then it's already fully cooked. If you boil it or cook it for any significant amount of time, it will shrink down and get tough.

My first choice for that would be to defrost it in the regrigerator, then serve it with a sauce like cocktail sauce, hot mustard or horseradish and soy sauce.

Second choice would be to thaw it by soaking it in hot water (from the faucet, not boiling), then when it was warm, chop it into large pieces and make an omelet.

Third choice would be to again thaw it in hot water until it was warm, then put it on pasta and pour boiling alfredo sauce (bottled kind will do) on it.

• Really you don't cook them simnce they are already cooked.

These are best served cold, as in shimp cocktail or in a salad or wrap.

You can toss them in a pasta dish just before serving and keep them there just long enough to heat them up but anything more than that you run the risk of over cooking rhte shrimp and overcooked shrimp are tough and rubbery.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Please DO NOT thaw in hot water..........put in a strainer and run cold water over...let sit until thawed...keep running cold water over them...

Since they are all ready cooked you can serve with cocktail sauce...or saute in a little lemon and butter with garlic then add shrimp and cook 1 or 2 minutes ..... serve over pasta (linguine, angel hair, fettuccine) Or over rice if pasta isn't your thing...

• viv
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

It says thaw and serve because they are already cooked.

• 9 years ago

Thaw and serve.

Source(s): ~The Fat Man
  • 9 years ago

They are really good sauteed in a little butter and garlic.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.