Why doesn't Canada have nuclear weapons?

I am almost positive that we have the knowledge to make nuclear weapons, but why don't we have any? I know that the United States keeps some of their nuclear weapons in Canada but we do not have any of our own. Why is this?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Nuclear weapons are useless. You can not shot down a plane with an atomic bomb. Tanks are quite resilient to nuclear attack, and so on. The only thing you can do with nuclear weapons is to destroy the cities of the enemy and kill civilian population. The war will still be decided by conventional forces. Shall you win after a nuclear strike, you have destroyed what will be yours. Shall you loose, you will have to face the soldiers of the enemy, whose families you have killed.

• 4 years ago

It’s a sad day when citizens of North America are reduced to arguing over hypothetical situations involving nuclear arms. To put it simply, this question is rather disheartening. The United States is far from depleting its resources within its own borders, and has plenty of money in order to purchase its own necessities. And if Canada wishes to publicly develop nuclear weapons, that’s their decision. It’s also important to remember that the current administration of the United States has the lowest approval rating in a century. Hopefully the intelligent portion of the Canadian and American population can agree on the stupidity of this question.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Canada signed the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty. This gives them several rights under international law to build nuclear reactors for peaceful purposes, but they have agreed not to build nuclear weapons.

Canada is essentially a nuclear power, they could probably build a nuclear weapon in a month if it decided to.

• 9 years ago

They know the USA is responsible for the defense of North America. So they can take the "moral high ground" Kinda like my anti-gun neighbor who calls me when his burglar alarm goes off.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Alex
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

No reason for them to spend a fortune on military hardware. If another country attacked Canada, the US would destroy the attacker.

• 9 years ago

Canada has the ability to make one with their resources but they got the U.S so it is not necessary.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Canada has a small population and a small military the USA protects them therefore they can save their money.

• ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Because the U S will always protect them.

• 9 years ago

Because the US monitors and protects the entire continent.

Canada doesn't have to worry.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

They know the Queen and the French will come to their aid.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.