Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Any other moms who have developed insomnia..?

Hello,

I am a mother to a 15 month old baby. My baby has never been a good sleeper and still is not. On a good night she will wake up twice at night. Anyhow, I have been having a very very hard time staying asleep for more than 3 hours. I will wake up for no reason and stay up for at least an hour or two only to be woken up her and so the cycle continues. I am tired beyond belief.

I want to know if any mothers developed insomnia? Is is possible? How to cope?

At my wits end.

Thanks for your time.

@K - You are absolutely right.

Believe it or not I go out EVERYDAY for exercise. I am in Canada and we can go for days without sunshine. But every opportunity I get I am out and about. Trust me. And yes it helps immensely but it lately I have been having a very hard time with my sleeping. I might have some anxiety at this point too.

Your answer is beyond great and amazing. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it greatly :)

Favorite Answer

Horrible, no?

Get yourself out of the house... In the sun. For exercise. I know it's very cold at the moment, but, this is one thing that absolutely does work, wearing yourself out in the daylight. Put your kid in a carrier, zip a parka up over the kid with only the head peeking out, and go for a very long walk. Hike to the post office instead of driving. Wear yourself out, make sure you see sunlight. Be very fatigued at the end of the day, to the point where muscles are starting to cramp. _Then_ go to bed.

And, are you co-sleeping? Hopefully yes. In which case: when you can't sleep, do lie there with your kid as close as possible. Cuddling baby releases soporific hormones in mothers -- for real -- and you will relax and rest even if you don't manage to sleep. Do go down with her during the day like this if you are walking into walls (otherwise -- push through the exhaustion so you can wear yourself out in the fresh air as per previous paragraph).

Try to avoid playing "I can't fall asleep now because she's going to wake up soon" in your mind; convince yourself that it does not matter -- so what if she wakes in ten minutes? At least you will get ten minutes' sleep, so stop fretting!

You may also find relief in ritual. A particular tea, a particular bubble bath, some little OCD fuss with making sure you are wearing just the right nightie; whatever it takes.

Rice cereal does not make babies sleep, but I have found a bowl of "Special K" to be a good middle-of-the-night snack. Milk and a bit of starch is good to go back to sleep on...

If you are going to be awake no matter what, enjoy it. Don't sit there kicking about it. Fix yourself a little glass of liqueur, do something you enjoy.

Finally, there are sleeping pill options that are safe for nursing mothers, so do ask a doctor (one who has a proper understanding of breastfeeding and medicine) if it gets awful.