? asked in TravelLatin AmericaVenezuela · 1 decade ago

I'm planning to go to venezuela this spring for the first time, I'm a little nervous. What do I expect?

In all honesty, this will be my first international travel, but I have to go to see my girlfriend (long story, won't get into that). I've heard a lot of things about safety issues for tourists and I just want to know what I am to expect and if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

• mr.p
    Favorite Answer

Expect have a good time, there is tons of bad publicity when visiting venezuela. But don't let that scare you. Here what expect you'll be with your girlfriend who is a local who will take care of you. Your not going to die. Yes the capital can be dangerous but the crime is mainly between the gangs, not the common folk. Don't take jewelry or anything fancy that might draw attention to yourself. Use common sense when roaming the country if something does not feel right or seems sketchy it probably is. Also Venezuela and it's people loved to have a good time and party, so get ready to drink on the beach and eat amazing meals. Caracas it known for it's wide variety of food. And don't worry they do not hate americans, that's what government would like to portray. Think about this there is over 200,000 venezuelan living in the USA and mainly S. Florida does that sound like country that hates the USA. Honestly expectation wise, you are going to be in for a shocker when you get to the airport and leave the airport, there is lot's of shantytowns in that proximity and in the road to caracas, also at the airport once you get you bag and leave that area and go in the general area, where your girlfriend can pick you up. You are going to get bombarded by taxis, and general people who will ask you if you need a taxi or need to change dollars. Ignore them all.

Beside that like I said before you are going to be with your girlfriend and her family. So have a good time and don't freak out.

Source(s): Venezuelan/ American

The only thing you will see is violence, is a dangerous country, Caracas is the most violent city in all South America, 50 people are killed per day in this city, In the last 10 years Venezuela had overcome Colombia(That was one of the most violent countries in the world) in violence and in December 2010 was declarates as one of the most terrorist countries in the world.

Dont go to Venezuela, in this moment is more safe countries like Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Panama... for me Colombia is a good country to visit all the people say that Colombia is the most beutiful country in the world...

Venezuela is dangerous dont go to that country.

Good luck in your No-Venezuela Trip.

Aside from the women and the coastline, not much. I would consider going elsewhere in Latin America. It's huge and varied with more interesting things to see and do than in Venezuela. It's also become quite dangerous thanks to Chavez. Enjoy.