What shall I cook as my dinner menu? Picky guests?!?

Basically I wanna impress them, and make a really good non simple starter and main, got a dessert. But they dont eat

Seafood

Fish

Beetroot

Eggs

Tomatoes

Seafood

Mushrooms

Cream Cheese

Mashed Potato in large quantities

Spicy Food

Onions

Sushi

Lamb

What can I cook that they will like for a starter and a Main. For dessert I am making Eton

Mess because they like that

:) xxx

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Sounds like some whiny *** spoiled kids your having over as guests (more like pests). They need to grow up and expand their horizons.

• TLK
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

If they do not like those things, maybe they cannot appreciate whatever good thing you cook. Simply, they have a problem. Don't get disappointed if they do not like your food. I do not believe people who have so many likes and dislikes can appreciate food.

Stay away from ingredients they are allergic to. That's not their fault.

The only thing I agree with in the above list is "mashed potato in large quantities".

No onions, seafood or mushrooms are serious...Basically you need to cook with meat without onions or mushrooms, right? Can you at least use shallots or can you use onions to make a sauce and strain them so that it won't appear in the final dish?

Since it is impossible to cook without stocks in my culinary dictionary, I assume you can use onions to make stocks. Here are my suggestions.

Starter: Something with pastry. phyllo pastry or puff pastry. Use meat or veal sweetbread, etc. Shape it like a mille-feuille. Garnish with lettuce leaves, turnips, carrots. By using pastry, the dish can take lettuce and stuff. For the sauce, vinaigrette. It is starter, so it shouldnt be heavy. A vinaigrette would go well with salad too.

Main, some good meat, not too intensely flavored because you cannot garnish it with mushrooms or onions. I think of some poultry. Something more than chicken, but less than beef. You can roast it, and use the jus to make sauce with some appropriate liquor. Use beans like lentils on which you put the meat. No other garnish, just that. Give them a good glass of wine.

• Lroasted-duck-with-cranberry-port-sauce

Ingredients:

3 Shallots thinly sliced

3/4 c Red wine

1/2 c Port

6 Juniper berries

5 Black peppercorns

4 sprigs fresh thyme

1 Long island duck (up to 5 pounds)

Salt

2 c Chicken Stock

1/2 c Cranberry juice

1 tb Light brown sugar

1/2 c Fresh cranberries

1 tb Fresh thyme finely chopped

Preparation:

1. Combine the red wine, port, juniper berries, black peppercorns,  shallots, and thyme in a shallow baking dish. Add the duck, and rub the  marinade all over the outside and inside of the duck. Cover and refrigerate  for at least 8 hours or overnight, turning the duck occasionally.    2. Remove the duck from the marinade and reserve the marinade.    3. Preheat the oven to 400 F.    4. Season the duck with salt and pepper and place on a rack in a medium  roasting pan. Roast the duck approximately 1 - 1/2 hours or until a  thermometer inserted registers 150 F, or to your liking.    5. Remove pan from the oven, drain all of the fat and place the duck on a  platter. Place the pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the reserved  marinade while scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula. Add  the chicken stock, cranberry juice, cranberries, and brown sugar, and cook  until the sauce thickens. Add fresh thyme and season with salt and pepper  to your liking

• Diane
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

In summers nothing's better than a chilled mocktail e.g. Mix 1/4 glass of mango juice with 3/4 glass of lemonade, add a pinch of rock salt & it's ready to drink!!! You can have some wholesome soup like Thukpa, Tom Yum or Talumein soup - all have a combination of vegetables, chicken/egg & noodles. As the main dish there can be hot, piping pasta or cold pasta salad with some garlic bread. End with chilled fruits with whipped cream or try out fried ice-cream. Nevertheless all depends on the taste of your guests and you would know the best. Have a great dinner!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

For a starter begin with a Beef/Onion Consomme.

Continue the beef aspect with a flavoursome beef stew with acceptable veggies and a small portion of mashed potatoes, and baked or roasted potatoes, if it is just the "don't want mashed for a change".

If it is a 'I want something else go' for a rice or noodle meal.

You could use pork or chicken along those lines.

• 9 years ago

Lol! People that picky don't deserve to have food cooked for them! Okay, let's see...

For a starter, how about a nice soup. Something seasonal. Parsnip or squash or something. And some fancy bread of course. Or you could wrap figs in proscuitto and serve on a peppery salad (watercress, rocket, spinach etc.). Or you could make some kind of crostini/bruschetta by grilling slices of ciabatta and topping with... pesto, spinach and goats cheese, or cannellini beans and herbs, or avocado and seasoned diced chicken.

For the main, how about this posh pepper steak http://www.sofeminine.co.uk/w/recipe/r295/steak-in... with homemade potato wedges and green veggies? Or yummy garlic chicken? Or a good risotto - that's quite impressive. Try a classic risotto primavera http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1956/ultimate-r... (use less onion so they don't notice!), or this one: http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/article-view.p... (leave out the tomatoes).

• 9 years ago

dont stress Sweets it looks a bite easy : sauteed Asparagus or green beans with lite soy sauce or lite blend of seasoning or just plan butter. / Burgers or steak / or meatloaf / a basic grilled chicken dish / use a bake potato or dinner rolls or a rice dish or lo mien just the with out the seafood.

• 9 years ago

Start with my bacon-wrapped dates

Ingredients

20 pitted dates

20 shelled pistachios

10 slices of bacon, par-cooked and cut in half

Method

Heat oven to 400°. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or non-stick foil.

Stuff the dates with a pistachio. Wrap a piece of bacon around one of the dates. Secure with a skewer or toothpick. Repeat with remaining dates. Arrange on prepared baking sheet and bake 5 minutes. Turn the dates over and bake another 5 minutes.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Then serve Individual beef Wellington

Individual beef Wellingtons

Ingredients

4 (6 ounce) thickly cut filet mignons

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil

4 (1 ounce) slices goose or duck liver, or pork country-style pate

One-half (17 1/4 ounce) package frozen puff pastry (1 sheet), thawed (thaw overnight in the fridge)

Mushroom Duxelles, recipe follows

1 large egg beaten with 2 teaspoons cream, milk or water (egg wash)

Method

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Season both sides of each filet with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper.

Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the filets and sear for 1 minute on each side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate to cool completely.

Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 14-inch square, and cut into 4 (7-inch) squares.

Spread one-quarter of the mushroom duxelles on top of each filet and top each with 1 slice of the pate, pressing to flatten. Place one filet, mushroom side down, in the center of a puff pastry square. Using a pastry brush or your finger, paint the inside edges of the pastry with egg wash. Fold the pastry over the filet as though wrapping a package and press the edges to seal. Place the packages seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the egg wash over the tops and sides of each package and bake until the pastry is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 140 degrees F for medium-rare, about 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Place the Beef Wellingtons in the center of 4 large plates, and accompany with the sauce and vegetables of choice.

Mushroom Duxelles:

Mushrooms Duxelles (duck-ells) is really nothing but mushrooms cooked down in savories and wine, so-not-intimidating

Ingredients

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

2 tablespoons minced shallots

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

10 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean, stemmed, and finely chopped

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

2 1/2 tablespoons dry white wine

Method

Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, salt, and white pepper, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring, until all the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms begin to caramelize, about 12 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring to deglaze the pan, until all the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and let cool before using.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

How about a roast? chicken, or ham.

or maybe some kind of pie(s) chicken and tarragon perhaps.

• mlb
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Chicken and dumplings.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.