Ford F150 stalling out unless you keep foot on gas?

Ok so I am new here and hoping I can get some help. me and my husband have a 2000 ford F150 4wheel drive with a 5.4 triton motor. About 2 months ago we went out to start it and it would turn over but stall out very quickly. A friend told me to try keeping foot on gas and brake and put it in gear,i did that and it stayed running. I then shut it off and it started up and stayed running with no problem. Well now it is has been doing it every morning this week. He has to start it and keep his foot on the gas pedal for around 10 to 15 minutes before it will stay running, and today after he left for work it stalled on him twice but starts right back as long as he pressing the gas. Any suggestions. My friend that told me what to do above said maybe an ignition relay?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

take it to auto parts store and have them run a diagnostic check and it should give you a code for what is the problem.. sounds like fuel is not getting to engine, fuel pump, fuel injectors, spark plugs, distributor cap...could be a number of things

• 9 years ago

maybe fuel pump, fuel sensor, spark plugs, spark plug cables, relays. to be sure take it to a mechanic shop and they'll hook it up to a computer and tell you the exact problem to the t. cost you about 10 to 30 bucks

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Idle Air Control needs to cleaned, very common fault.

• 9 years ago

Check the TPS throttle position sensor, vacum leak, loose wire connector, choke. Is the check engine light on

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Steven
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

could be the idle air control motor/solenoid

• 9 years ago

fuel pump

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.