Renovating a bathroom, rip down or get acrylic liner for tub?

Some grout issues in the shower tiles and leaky taps, can you cover this with a liner and new cylinders in the faucets or do you scrap it all and start over!? First bathroom I will be renoing and I would like to keep it budget friendly:)

Best Answer

By leaky taps... I can only assume you mean that your tub valve is leaking.. If this is the case, when you re-do your tile or plan on covering it up, NOW is the time to fix/or replace your tub/shower valve! Call a local plumber to assess the problem and fix it before you have a major problem in the near future and have to tear out all of the "new" stuff you just put in regardless if you plan on just covering up the old with new or tearing it all out and starting from scratch.. I would lean toward ripping out all the old junk and replacing with good new materials that you won't have to worry about, but I don't know your budget.

I also don't know what you mean by cylinders in the faucet.... Do you mean cartridges? or stems? either way.. sounds as if you need to call a plumber to take a look. You really don't want to make things worse than they already are in the process.

hope this was a help!

Good Luck and God bless!

Source(s): I am a licensed plumber
  • JaneM

i had the same problem in a rent house with a shower stall. you can buy a sort of kit to redo the shower. a plastic pan and the walls are sheets you cut to fit including the ceiling. i would check with a plumbing supply and get some info. its not that hard and if you have to tear out a wall you can use 3/4 plywood to go back with and glue the sheets on. my stall was old thick set and would have been a bugger to tear out. so far its worked out ok . if it would have been my own home i would have gone the other way, ripped it out, and replaced it with cultured marble pieces. if your pan is good i would look into the sheets repair.

Use a software knife (field cutter) and a putty knife to remove the former caulk. in case your previous caulk isn't siliconized acrylic (no matter if that is demanding as a rock) domicile Cheapo sells a product called "caulk softener" which will make it plenty a lot less perplexing to remove. conserving caulk from getting moldy is a problematical one. mould and mould thrive on warmth and moist, that's what each and every bathe section has. Lysol kills mould on contact, so do a touch of those "Tilex" and "Scrub free" form cleaners. do not spray those issues on your taps. My approach for finding out to purchase rid of the mould is caulking the tub each and every couple of years.

All New.