Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

A friend of mine, a Philipina who has obtained U.S. citizenship.?

Can she obtain a U.S. divorce from a philipino husband, who most likely is still in the Philipines and she hasn't seen in over 6 years and marry a natrual U.S. citizen? There are no minor children involved. If so, so long as she/they stay out of the Philipines is she safe from being charged with bigamy? I read somewhere that this can happen, even though the Philipines does not allow devorce there.

2 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    No, she has to divorce him where the marriage took place, under their laws. The marriage and the husband can not be effected by US courts.

    She can not legally marry in the US until she is divorced.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Might have to go through their embassy to make it official.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.