Needing a metal for an invention?

I need a non conductor nonmagnetic metal. I haven't ever been good with my periodic table. Plus I can't find anything on google. Also has to withstand temps up to 450* F

• bonobo
    Favorite Answer

You're being too vague.

• Does it have to be a metal? Why?

• How bad a conductor (or how good an insulator) does it have to be?

• Is it an object of substantial mass or is it a coating (thin layer)?

• What is it connected to?

In short, the more information you give, the better I can select a material?

Strickly speaking metals are defined by their free electrons, thus they all conduct. Steel is technicly an alloy. If you allowed to use alloys with a metel componend then a semiconductor would qualify however these are extreamly expensive to make structures out of and they are extreamly weak. Also rust (iron oxide) which is a compound that most people consider a "metal" yet it has decient insolating posibilities. Cant remember if it is magnetic.

At the end of the day your best bet is probably e-glass which has good strenght, non conductive and non magnetic properties.

• James

Metals all have free electrons, and are all conductive. Maybe you want a ceramic material instead. If you don't need it especially stiff you can look into using teflon or silicone.