Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Riches are not the answer to happiness; Do you agree?

When I was younger and had basically nothing I was happy. I trusted in the Lord and lived each day as it came. I was happy to see the morning sunrise.I woke up excited and ready to take on the day

So now I'm in a professional job (forced by my parents), have more money than I can spend, and am MISERABLE. I hate my profession, hate my city, and spend little time with my family. I am spiritually bankrupt!

Sadly my extreme masonic Protestant upbringing has demanded this work ethic above all else. Even when I had an unexplained Diabetes spike (sugar above 400 that should have killed me, my mother said "everyone's got Diabetes, at least you are not crippled and can't work".

After 3 days off work (the company suggested 10) I went back. During that time 3 guys had heart attacks, one committed suicide, and another has been so disgruntled he hasn't came in for 3 weeks (I suspect he wants them to fire him since quitting a job without another to go to is worse than murder/theft/ rape in our culture....I'm worried he'll end his live).

I hate being a WASP (Protestant). I would love to convert to reform Judaism, but I hear that unwed males are considered "half a man" (I read this in a Jewish conversion guide).

At the risk of blasphemy, God has done nothing to help me. No chance encounters with ladies, no visions, nightime prayers, nothing,,,,, It's like he's on Vacation.

Registered therapists can't provide more than feel good therapy that wears off in an hour :-(

What can I do?

I'M OUT OF OPTIONS AND AT THE END OF MY ROPE!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone and God Bless!!!!!!!

Favorite Answer

Happiness does not find its source in amassing material wealth or power. True happiness stems from those things that have to do with spirituality, the worship of God, and the fulfillment of God’s promises.

Jesus outlined these in Matthew 5:1-12 So, All the happiness’s promised in the Bible are contingent upon a right relationship with God; all of them are realized on the basis of love of God and faithful service to him.

You are neither out of options nor at the end of your rope, but you need to talk to someone rather than just posting on Y/A. If you want to convert to Judaism, you must speak with a Rabbi.

God does not give you 'chance encounters with ladies', nor is He on vacation, but you clearly need to reach out. In your message, you said you speak to your mother. I recommend speaking to more people.

You say 'registered therapists can't provide more than feel good' but I wonder if you actually went to one, or just decided they can't help so there's no need to try.

TL;DR,

But.

When people say 'money can't buy happiness' they're right when they're talking about the status that allegedly comes from being rich and having the best stuff. So yes MATERIALISM won't buy you happiness if nobody wuvs you. (aww)

But money CAN buy you security, and autonomy, and in that way you'll have a happier and easier life if you've got enough of it that you'll never have to worry about you and your family having enough to eat and clothes and a home. So I wouldn't say that money is completely unimportant to happiness.

• ....

Without money, we would be on the street in the cold without food. Try it and see if it makes a difference. God will not give you money out from the sky, you have to work for it to make a living.

Quit your job. Its obviously pulling you away from the Lord and making you extremely unhappy. I think you are old enough that you don't have to listen to your parents anymore. Get married, start a family, go to church.

• Look at Micheal Jackson - He had everything at his finger tips yet he died searching for happiness

Only Jesus Christ can give you peace, joy, purpose and direction.

Try Jesus. He loves you. He died on the cross so you don't have to through all those things you have described.

You need jesus to be happy though he does nothing, doesn't affect anything, and pretends not to exist.

Source(s): Yeah, pretends... sheep...