Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

IS Human Cloning Moral?

Can you explain why/why not? And the pros/cons of cloning would also be great!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No.

The Catholic Church has the highest regard for human life and human dignity from the beginning of life at conception until natural death.

Human cloning, that is the creation of a human embryo through scientific means, does injury to the dignity of humanity. Will these children be brought up in loving families or treated as laboratory experiments or sources for spare parts?

Will these children be treated as required in Article 7.1, Convention on the Rights of the Child, United Nations General Assembly, 1989: The child shall be registered immediately after birth and shall have the right from birth to a name, the right to acquire a nationality and. as far as possible, the right to know and be cared for by his or her parents.

http://html.knowyourrights2008.org/media/pdfs/crc_...

Every human being is entitled to human rights including cloned human embryos. If created, they should be treated with the same rights and respect of any other human being as a child of God.

The Catholic Church is not just against cloning, it is pro-life in the widest sense. This is often called a "Consistent Ethic of Life."

This pro-life stance stresses the highest regard for dignity of human life including that of:

- All people in objecting to unjust war and nuclear arms.

- The unborn in objecting to to abortion, in vitro fertilization, frozen embryos, embryonic stem cell research, and cloning

- The elderly, sick and dying in objecting to assisted suicide and euthanasia

- Prisoners in objecting to the death penalty

- The poor and minorities in supporting social justice issues.

For more information, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church, sections 2270 and following: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt3sect2chpt2a...

and: http://www.usccb.org/prolife/issues/bioethic/index...

and: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_acade...

With love in Christ.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

i don't think of cloning is evil or depraved or something. It happens in nature all of the time, with twins, and a few animals may even clone themselves, if there is not any male around. some species are asexual... If those species at the instant are not immoral, than neither are we. I do notwithstanding not have confidence there is any want or use for human cloning at this element. and that i think of it may be unethical to the guy being cloned, because of the fact they could be refrained from by utilising society, and distinctly non secular human beings, and there is often the prospect they could be taken care of like something of secondary fee. it fairly is a slippery slope in an uninformed society.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

The difference between the two paragraphs above is that one of the paragraph uses different commas, and periods than the other. The use of commas, and periods is important, because it may alter the mood of the paragraph. The first paragraph seems nice, friendly, and lovely, however the second paragraph seems hostile and somewhat threatening. The way individuals portrayed in this paragraph end their phrases influence the vibe of their sentence(s).

An example of this phenomena would be:

- Jesus Christ! I hope you are okay.

As opposed to:

- Jesus Christ! I hope your okay.

- Jesus Christ I hope your okay.

The first sentence sets the theme of an individual's concern for the well being of a friend, companion, or acquaintance.

The second sentence sets the theme of an individual being concern of the well being, of an individual named Jesus. Which makes a huge difference.

By the way, Is this a "Dear John" (movie/book) reference?

• Zenos
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Mackey is absolutely correct about identical twins, so I suppose that based on what all the religious nuts believe about cloning, the parents of identical twins are all going to Hell! Isn't belief in God WONDERFUL?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

No, it is not moral. A human clone would have freedom and free will as well and it is not fair that they be stuck with their donors genes. People should be individuals.

• Jimmer
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Only God should create life....

Riiiight....

...and by that logic, one should never take an antibiotic, invent an artificial heart, submit to dialysis, or do anything ELSE that keeps one from dying on an appointed day that *would* have happened without these HUMAN inventions....

Hypocrites...

> Jimmer <

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Yes it is moral, as long as i can bring my fully-human clone to life, let it grow to adulthood and then kill him so I can harvest his organs and use them as replacement parts.

• neil s
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Not given the dangers of using that level of technological power given our minuscule understanding of genetics, etc.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Sure it is. It has been going on since humans first evolved. What do you think identical twins are?

• 10 years ago

Why don't we find out?! We haven't learned enough about it yet, so...onward and upward! Let's get to it!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.