How old of a man can a 16 year old date legally in Canada?

The title pretty much says it all.. I heard a 16 year old can date someone up to the age of 28.. but im not positive and i wanna make sure. Please no hate answers. If your gunna beak then dont answer . Thanks guys .

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no law in Canada that restricts who anyone can date based on age. The law restricts only sexual activity.

A quick Google indicates that the oldest man in Canada is 114. A 16 year old girl can, therefore, date any guy up to 114 years old.

The age of consent in Canada is 16. Once you are 16 you can have sex with anyone you choose. The 16 year old girl can, therefore, legally not only date the 114 year old, she can have sex with him. (If she doesn't mind risking potential homicide charges if the experience is too much for him....)

Richard

• 1 decade ago

The answerers identifying 16 as the age of consent (with the result that 16-year-olds can have a sexual relationship with others of whatever age they wish) are correct, though there are caveats:

16-year-olds and 17-year-olds are still subject to some fairly significant 'sexual exploitation' laws - if the older person is in a position of trust or authority, or there's a relationship of dependency, or the relationship is otherwise exploitative, then the older person is still in serious trouble.

So for a 16-year-old to have a sexual relationship with a teacher (or TA), religious leader, or counsellor would be deeply problematic. Likewise with a step-parent or other provider. There's no comprehensive list, but so long as the relationship doesn't fall into one of those prohibitions, it's not going to be a problem.

• mega
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Far as I can tell, there's no law that forbids anyone of any age from dating anyone of any age. A five-year-old can go out with an 80-year-old without legal trouble, because you can't assume they're out on a romantic type of date rather than just a grandma taking her grandson out for a walk.

I think what you're trying to ask is age of consent. In Canada, it is 16, so a 16-year-old can give consent for sex with anyone he or she wants.

• 1 decade ago

you can DATE ANYONE at ANY age..... its only when sex is involved that the laws apply

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.