How do you know if a camera is 35mm and what is the difference between a 35mm and 6.6-21.6mm?

So I am taking a photography class and it says on the course description that I must have a working 35mm manual or automatic camera. I own the Canon A480 which is just a basic digital camera and on the lens it says 6.6-21.6mm 1:3.0-5.8. It obviously isn't a 35mm camera but if the numbers were 6.6-36mm, would... show more So I am taking a photography class and it says on the course description that I must have a working 35mm manual or automatic camera. I own the Canon A480 which is just a basic digital camera and on the lens it says 6.6-21.6mm 1:3.0-5.8. It obviously isn't a 35mm camera but if the numbers were 6.6-36mm, would that be considered a 35mm camera? What does the 1:3-5.8 mean? What is the difference between a 35mm camera and a 35mm lens? And if I was going to get a camera, what camera is 35mm? Preferably Canon or Sony. Sorry for so many questions! thanks!
Update: oh! okay thanks so it actually has nothing to do with the camera? I can use that camera then? and what if its a digital camera? does that matter? because it doesn't use film.
Update 2: Okay, but canon makes them?

and to chaz.... don't answer the question if you don't have an answer.