? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 10 years ago

Milk based formula caused diarrhea, but soy causing pain?

So right from birth my son had diarrhea (he was on milk based formula and breastfed some), and he wasn't gaining weight well. So my Dr put him on Soy formula, and he stopped having the diarrhea and started gaining weight well, but now he is just miserable. After almost 2 weeks on Isomil I changed him to Nestle Alsoy thinking it might be easier on his belly, but there's no change. He almost seems worse :( He just cries all the time and seems in pain. I'm supposed to leave him on the Soy until he's 6 months (he's now 1 month ) but I can't stand this pain he's in, and I'd like to try him back on the milk already (he was much more content even with the diarrhea). Should I try changing him to see if he's already gotton over that possible milk intolerance or leave him on the Soy?

I forgot to mention I'm not nursing anymore, for different reasons.

"K" I do not appreaciate you RUDE and offensive answer- thanks for making a new mother that is already feeling horrible because my son is in pain and not getting sleep, to feel even worse. I know breastfeeding is best but it simply did not work for us- I DID try.

Favorite Answer

I think your best option here is to drink a lot of water and express milk and breastfeed him..

Please don't get mad at me for saying this, but I really think that at 4 months old, formula would be better for him than goat's milk or rice cereal. You've ruled out goat's milk, and even if you can get him to eat rice cereal, it really doesn't have much nutritional value and feeding it in large amounts can cause constipation. Rice cereal is really not more than filler. I understand you not liking the idea of formula (I'm very much pro-BFing), but if you can't pump more and your baby is still hungry, then I think it's your best option. I agree 100% that it's not as good as breastmilk, but it's still better for babies than goat's milk or rice cereal. I also recommend doing what you can to boost your supply - pump as much as you can, eat oatmeal, sugar, take fenugreek capsules or even ask your doc for a prescription for Reglan. Do you think there's any way you could get your baby back on the breast? I know of people who have taught their babies to breastfeed at 4 months old. I'm not saying you should do that, but it might be worth looking into. Finally - babies need either breastmilk or formula for at least the first 12 months. So if you're planning on weaning at 6 months, you will need to go to formula. There are plenty organic formulas out there! :) Good luck with everything & I hope that helps! :) Edited to add - I can't believe I didn't think of this before - you should look into donor breastmilk! That way you could avoid formula. :)

sounds like the soy is making him constipated, you can offer him a bit of water after each feed or you could try alternating bottles between the soy and cow's milk based formula or you could just try different formula's until you find one :) my daughter get's awful diarhhea from one milk based formula (karicare) but is fine on another (heinz nurture)... I just hope you find what works for you :)

"now he is just miserable"

Wow, it's almost like there's some sort of custom-made food for him and he is for some mysterious reason not getting it. Bizarre! Perhaps you might have the ability to fix that! Hmm...

Useful intro: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBrelactation.html

(You are nuts if you think there is some sort of preparation on a drugstore shelf which will fix this sort of thing -- formula just does not work like breast milk, despite what the manufacturers would like mothers to believe)