Chetco
Lv 7
Chetco asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

Will you share Yummy, Easy Potluck recipes?

My daughter-in-law needs recipes that use common ingredients, and can be prepared the night before.

She can put them in the oven before church, but doesn't have time for preparation.

Her church has a potluck after morning services once per month, and a 'finger-food' dinner one evening per month.

They usually have enough fried chicken and salads, but not enough deserts or main dishes.

Thank you!

Update:

Great Recipes! It's really, REALLY difficult to choose a 'best'. My family will be trying most of these!

14 Answers

Relevance
  • titou
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

1. Easiest recipe for "Alfredo" sauce!

Prepare any pasta you like as usual. I like penne best for this -- no risk of it going limp. Combine cooked pasta with olive oil and butter to taste, heated with garlic if desired, salt and pepper to taste.

Then, simply add approximately equal amounts of milk and Ranch dressing to achieve desired sauce thickness. Sounds dodgy, but think about it: Ranch dressing has all the ingredients necessary for sauce: oil, "white" ingredient, emulsifier, spices, etc.

2. Genuine Moroccan Couscous with lamb.

I tried and tried to make the 'Marga' stew with lamb and vegetables, but it always came out flat and watery. Finally figured out the secret.

Couscous is a classic dish from the Sahara desert area. So what is missing in the desert? Water!

So NO water in the preparation. Instead, get breast of lamb (cheap!) and cut into pieces about 2 inches square. Sautee these in olive oil with a little salt and pepper until the fat is brown. Then add twice the weight of the lamb you started with -- of fresh tomatoes cut up. You can blanch these and take off the skins, but it's not necessary. All the necessary water to stew the lamb comes from the tomatoes -- and what flavor!

Bring tomatoes and lamb to light boil on medium heat, then reduce to simmer. Let simmer covered for an hour\. Skim excess fat from the top, then add several large carrots cut into one-inch chunks. Cover again and simmer on low heat until carrots start to become tender -- about 20-30 minutes. The add two whole cloves garlic, a couple of bay leaves, a "bouquet garni", several zucchinis and turnips, and a can of chick peas -- salt and pepper to taste. A little hot sauce like Tabasco if desired ('Harissa' is better if you can get it), and a tablespoon of olive oil floated on the top. Cover again, and cook on very low heat until vegetables are tender, stirring gently every now and then. When it's done, it will just start to thicken.

Buy pre-cooked couscous by the box and prepare according to package directions. One box serves about four to six people. Really easy: put couscous into a non-metal cereal bow. Boil water and pour over dry couscous until just covered. Let stand until water is absorbed (about 3-5 minutes). Empty the soaked couscous into a frying pan with a tablespoon or two of butter that's just melted. Turn up heat to medium high, and separate couscous, mixing with the butter as steam is released and couscous cooks -- about 5 minutes or less. Go for light texture separating constantly; don't let it brown.

Keep 'Marga' lamb/vegetable stew covered in refrigerator overnight -- maybe freshen with the juice of a lemon before reheating. Best to prepare couscous grain itself just before you go, and can be heated onsite in a colander over boiling water, like cooked rice -- or even in a microwave.

Serve by placing couscous on plate, spoon Marga mixture over -- more or less liquid according to diner's preference. Hot sauce on the side.

Source(s): 20 years in Paris, where I learned to cook the simple French way -- on two little electric burners in a maid's room!
  • 9 years ago

Potluck Lasagna

1 pound ground beef

1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese

1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley and garlic; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cheeses, salt and pepper. Layer three noodles in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with half of the cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and half of the meat sauce. Repeat layers.

2. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Or cover and bake 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until edges are bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

Check out my blog for recipes and much more.

• Cathy
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Johnny Mazetti

1 package of Wide Egg Noodles (or can use No-Yoke Wide Noodles) Boiled and Drained

2 small (the smallest size can) cans of Tomato Sauce

1 lb. ground beef - browned and drained

8 ounces Cream Cheese

8 ounces Sour Cream

3 Chopped Green Onions - greens included

Garlic Powder (1/2 teaspoon)

1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Salt & Pepper (to taste)

Mix ground beef, noodles, tomato sauce and salt & pepper together in a bowl. Use a 9x13 casserole dish (greased/sprayed with Non-Stick spray). Put half the noodle mixture in bottom of the casserole dish.

In another bowl, mix sour cream, cream cheese, garlic powder and green onions). Then put all this mixture on top of the noodles. Then cover with remaining noodle mixture. Sprinkle Cheddar Cheese and cover with lid or foil. Refrigerate over night if you don't want to bake it right away.

Then bake from room temperature at 350 degrees covered for 40 minutes.

And finger food, I like to get a round pizza aluminum pan and 2 packages of the popping fresh Crescent Rolls and make a ring out of the rolls and in the center of the ring, fill it with pizza toppings, or chicken/broccoli/swiss cheese, or anything works inside. Then bring up the points of the Crescent rolls and you don't completely seal the entire top, just kind of lay them over the top. Bake 425 degrees for 15 mins. or until gold brown. Cut into slices for serving.

Good luck.

• My friends ask (demand) that I bring these to every potluck I go to. They are super easy to prepare.

Grape Jelly Meatballs

1 bag frozen meatballs

1 bottle Heinz Chili Sauce

1 bottle grape jelly

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon Worchester sauce

Combine all ingredients in crock pot (can be the night before and stored in fridge). Set crock pot to high and cook for 4 hours.

If she doesn't have a crock pot she can combine all in a casserole dish and refrigerate overnight. Then heat in oven at 350* for 1 hour and serve.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I knew a guy who would buy a Wal Mart frozen lasagna, and then when he baked it he just poured extra spaghetti sauce over the top of it. That might be simple enough for her, she could just bake it and then put the spaghetti sauce so it won't be dry and maybe sprinkle some extra cheese on top. When I was in the Air Force and cooked for Pilots, they liked Rice Krispie treats for their dessert, they don't take much time to make and most people like them, not just kids. My pilots favorite meals were meatloaf, tacos, or baked ham. Maybe she could fry off some taco meat and bring in some tortilla shells since there is plenty of salad fixings.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Rice Kheer (Rice Pudding) recipe

Ingredients :

* 2 litres full-cream milk

* 1 can (400 gms) sweetened condensed milk

* 1 tsp cardamom powder

* 1 cup sugar

* 1 cup Basmati rice

* 50 gms almonds blanched and slivered

* 50 gms raisins

* A few strands of saffron

* Rose petals to garnish (optional)

Preparation:

* Wash the rice well and soak for half an hour in enough water to cover it fully.

* Put the milk, condensed milk and sugar in a deep, thick-bottomed pan and boil. When the milk comes to a boil, add the rice and simmer. Cook till the milk thickens and reduces to half its original volume.

* Add the almonds, raisins and cardamom and cook for 5 more minutes.

* Turn off the fire and add the saffron. Stir well.

* Allow the kheer to cool, then chill.

* Serve cold garnished with rose petals.

Source(s): www.yoursearchbuddy.com
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Grape Jelly Meatballs

• F D
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Tex-Mex Lasagna prep time 10 min total time 35 min makes 8 servings kraftwhat you need

1 lb. ground beef

2 jars (16 oz. each) TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Salsa

1 can (15 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained

12 corn tortillas (6 inch)

1 pkg. (8 oz.) VELVEETA Shredded Pasteurized Process Cheese Food Make It

PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Brown meat in large skillet; drain. Stir in salsa and corn.

SPOON 1 cup of the meat mixture into 12x8-inch baking dish. Top with half each of the tortillas, remaining meat mixture and VELVEETA; repeat layers. Cover with foil.

BAKE 20 minutes. Uncover. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until VELVEETA is melted and mixture is heated through. Garnish with BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream just before serving, if desired.

Jell-o Poke Cake

What You Need

1 pkg. (2-layer size) white cake mix

1 cup boiling water

1 pkg. (3 oz.) JELL-O Strawberry Flavor Gelatin

1/2 cup cold water

1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed

Make It

PREPARE cake batter and bake as directed on package for 13x9-inch pan. Cool cake in pan 15 min. Pierce cake with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.

ADD boiling water to gelatin mix in small bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water; pour over cake. Refrigerate 3 hours.

FROST cake with COOL WHIP. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Source(s): kraftfood.com
  • 9 years ago

Chop ham, dice potatoes (large pieces) chop onions. Put everything in the crock pot for overnight cooking on low. In the morning, add a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and grated cheddar cheese. This makes a hearty meal of ham and potatoes with a cheesy flavor.

• 9 years ago

Chocolate fool So easy and even the church crowd will say it is better than sex.

http://mydailylunchrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/03/ch...

It is simply whipped cream with melted chocolate folded in. I have made this several times for dinner parties and it always gets raves. Even in large amounts it only takes ten minutes.

Source(s): Learn how to make great food from simple ingredients: http://mydailylunch.blogspot.com/
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.