Why do the New Bibles claim that Mary Magdalene had seven demon?

The Orginal Versions of Bible DO Not State this.

Only in Improved? and Revised? NEW Editions

Update:

Why Show me Revised English Improved ? I stated the Translations ( from Original Version)

Seven Demons .

IC XC NIKA

Update 2:

Thank you .All. I am putting this Question to Vote.. ..IC XC NIKA

IC XC NIKA

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Rene
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Mary Magdalene was a woman from whom Jesus cast out seven demons (Luke 8:2). The name Magdalene likely indicates that she came from Magdala, a city on the southwest coast of the Sea of Galilee. After Jesus cast seven demons from her, she became one of His followers.

Mary Magdalene has been associated with the "woman in the city who was a sinner" (Luke 7:37) who washed Jesus' feet, but there is no scriptural basis for this. The city of Magdala did have a reputation for prostitution. This information, coupled with the fact that Luke first mentions Mary Magdalene immediately following his account of the sinful woman (Luke 7:36-50), has led some to equate the two women. John 11:2, however, identifies the women in Luke 7:36-50 as Mary of Bethany, not Mary Magdalene.

Mary Magdalene is also often associated with the woman whom Jesus saved from stoning after she had been taken in adultery (John 8:1-11). But again this is an association with no evidence. The movie “The Passion of the Christ” made this connection. This view is possible, but not likely and certainly not taught in the Bible.

Mary Magdalene witnessed most of the events surrounding the crucifixion. She was present at the mock trial of Jesus; she heard Pontius Pilate pronounce the death sentence; and she saw Jesus beaten and humiliated by the crowd. She was one of the women who stood near Jesus during the crucifixion to try to comfort Him. The earliest witness to the resurrection of Jesus, she was sent by Jesus to tell the others (John 20:11-18). Although this is the last mention of her in the Bible, she was probably among the women who gathered with the apostles to await the promised coming of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:14).

The recent fiction novel “The DaVinci Code” makes the claim that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married. Some of the non-biblical early Christian writings (considered heresy by the early Christians) hint at a special relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus. However, there is no evidence whatsoever to support the belief that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married. The Bible does not even hint at such an idea.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Have you red the Bible? - you will find out for yourself but don't numb yourself with heavy dose of skepticism:

the non Christian really has no logical alternative but to accept that Jesus is God:

“I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God.” That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic-on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg-or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God; or else a madman or something worse.

You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. “

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,

Col 2:9 (NIV)

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

And to what "original version" of the Bible are you referring? If it's the KLV, you're sadly misinformed.

As for "Improved? And Revised? NEW editions"? My dear, the Bible to which you are referring simply has updated language to better convey the original meaning. When you hear the word "holocaust," do you think of burned offerings to God? No, neither do I.

EDIT: No, you DON'T state the translation. NAME IT!

• 10 years ago

It is in Mark 16:9

But he rising early the first day of the week, appeared first to Mary Magdalen, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

and Luke 8:2.

And certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities; Mary who is called Magdalen, out of whom seven devils were gone forth,

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

How new do you mean? Its in the Latin vulgate, which was translated from the original texts in the fourth century AD.

"Surgens autem mane, prima sabbati, apparuit primo Mariæ Magdalene, de qua eiecerat septem dæmonia."

• 10 years ago

sorry to interupt all of you, excuse me? new Bible? old Bible? maybe after this, 2011 Bible, hell? 'Holy Book' is something that already existed long time ago, it was perfect, why need to change?? the reason is so simple, to misguide the truth. Please, try to think, something from God, was so perfect, no need so many versions to confuse us!

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Haters gotta hate.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Which are the Old versions that you refer to?

KJV has it (Luke 8:2, Mar 16:9)

Wycliffe New Testament - has it. (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luk%20...

YLT has it: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luk%20...

Source(s): TaZ
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

It just recently came to light, and so they decided to add it. Upgrade for bible, why not? Turns out Paul also had at least one demon. But they decided against adding that.

• Greg O
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Your source for this?

What is "seven demon"? It sounds like a killer rum.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.