Do horror stories have a theme or moral?

I have an English assignment which is to write a short story. I want to write a horror story, but one of the guidelines for the assignment is that it has to have a theme or message. So what I'm getting at is, do horror stories even have a theme or main message? If not, how can I incorporate one into my story?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Most of them don't have deep messages about human nature or anything--they're mainly to shock and thrill.

Some "other" messages:

1.When you're getting chased, pick up the knife, not the banana. 

2.Stay away from the blondes if you're a guy. If you are a girl, try not to be blonde. 

3.When you fall down, don't crawl. Get up. 

4.Don't look out the window. And NO MATTER WHAT DON'T OPEN THE DOOR. It's either the killer or a dead body. 

5.If your little brother or sister says they saw something, don't say yeah right. Believe them. 

6.Don't stop running.

Run like Maniac Magee. 

7.Make sure the door is locked. 

8.Try not to be a jock. 

9.Don't fool around with the opposite sex. 

10.Don't get drunk or do drugs. 

11.If you hate someone and you have to sacrifice someone, act like your hugging them and throw them at the killer. 

12.Get in the car, lock the doors, make sure the windows are covered with something, and don't ride shotgun. 

13.If your name is Steve, Alex, Clear, Tara, Matt, Damien,or Samantha you might as well say goodbye.

14.When someone says look behind you twice and you look, when they say it for the third time, look again. 

15.Don't wear jeans. It's a death wish. 

16.Don't EVER say "What would you do if I was the killer." People will avoid you. 

17.If you're in a Halloween movie, think back to Halloween H2O. Don't close the gate and then break the gate opener. Sorry Jamie Lee Curtis. That was stupid. 

18.Don't use the computer. 

19.Don't text. 

20.Finally, NEVER, EVER, EVER....answer the phone.

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Paying Bills Writing http://givitry.info/WritingJobsOnline
  • 1 decade ago

Of course they do! ^ ^ Horror story's can teaches lessons like fables and other story's!

Just because the story is frighting that don't mean it has no moral! quite often the Truth about things is scary ad this will add to you're genre of story telling!

Examples, not trusting strangers or becafule who you talk to on the internet!

There is an idea that there are only 6 main story lines in literature! One being fate catching up with a wrong doer and an innocent Chrater falling into a trap! Both of these can be fitted into the horror genre!

^ ^

I really hope this helps and good luck with you're story! ^ ^

• 1 decade ago

Yeah, most of them include morals and lessons similar to the following:

If your car breaks down, STAY IN THE CAR.

Instead of getting out and wandering around, call for help.

If there is abandoned house in the middle of nowhere, DO NOT GO IN.

If you DO choose to go in the house, do not go anywhere alone.

DO NOT DROP THE FLASHLIGHT.

Don't ever say I'll be right back, because you won't.

If you are in a zombie apocalypse, wear full leather or as close as possible to that.

Lock and board the doors. ALWAYS.

Don't go trigger happy, NO, machine guns do not have 1000 bullets in a clip, and NO, you do not have unlimited ammo.

If someone gets bitten, might as well shoot them.

I can't think of anymore right now...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The great horror stories turn our anxieties into monsters. They have always been a way of confronting these anxieties by turning them into entertainment. Dracula was written in the 1890s when England was starting to see some immigration from Eastern Europe. Dracula himself is a horrible stereotype of the immigrant; he brings disease and will take advantage of your daughters (at night in their beds, no less). Zombies confront our anxieties about consumerism and conformity (mindlessly lurching about, seeking only to consume more). Werewolf stories are about the rational/emotional dichotomy. Have you ever noticed that in slasher films, the doomed teenagers are the one who sneak off to make out and have pre-marital sex?

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awtLs

How about a story that centers on a pack of ghouls (or ghūls) who can take on the guise of any human being that they've recently devoured. The story could take place in a small town (or maybe in an inner city neighborhood) and could follow the protagonist as he or she discovers the ghouls and tries to figure out what to do about them. Or maybe the ghūls could be the protagonists, the story being told from their point of view... SHAZAM!!!

Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Most messages in horrors (more in movies really but still) revolve around:

Never go in an alleyway/forest/abandoned house/haunted house at night.

The horror 'shrooms' could be seen as having a masive anti-drugs message/moral.

• Marie
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Well now I would suggest you look at the stories in Aesop's Fables and adapt one of those to modern day - they all have morals and teach lessons. Good luck

• John
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Don't judge books by genre!!! It depends on the story. I hate it when people talk about books of certain genres like they're all the same. Most don't but the best ones do! Go for it! You should make the monster represent something, make it like what you think is evil in society or something.

Answer mine?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201103...

• 1 decade ago

yes they can , like in the case of the story "Bloody Mary" -it's curiosity killed the cat, also if you're creative you will a way to incorporate the message you seek.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.